Trotting noise from engin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trotting noise from engin

My Surf Has dveloped an engin noise sounds like horses trotting on concreat road gets faster but less notice able as revs pick up. just started suddenly when i took it in for MOT and thay reved the engin up high before emitions test. Also took it home went out hour later parked it for anouther couple of hours, started it up and 30 seconds later all dash board panelicon lite up and that nasty ignition continuios alarm noise started, turned it of started again noise gone then came back 100 yard down the road. this is what has been happening on and off each time i have driven it since (3) but the ignition noise eventualy clears. has any one got any suggestions about these two problems please. am getting realy worried.

Hi Emma,
    re; the engine noise, I would suggest an oil and filter change.

re; the ignition alarm, it sounds like the pre-heat/glowplug relay needs replacing. The alarm noise is an 'ignition on ready to start' warning, and it seems that it's not switching off when the engine is started.

Comment

Horse Power issue then VINCE. If it was a a Clucking sound its the Big Hens gone
      (\__/)
      (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
      (")_(")

Comment

One thing coulld cause all this. Alternator belts are slipping and possibly shreading. Slipping will cause all the lights to come on along with the warning and shreading will cause the noise.

Nev

Comment

for what it's worth, I think Nev's got a point. Pop the bonnet and have a look for a loose or dodgy belt.

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho
            for what it's worth, I think Nev's got a point. Pop the bonnet and have a look for a loose or dodgy belt.
            i thought you were going to say pop the bonnet and see if you've run over a horse...

hope you get the prob sorted
            https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by marky
              Horse Power issue then VINCE. If it was a a Clucking sound its the Big Hens gone
              Your just asking for one there, aren't you.

Comment

It's OK, he's already had one today.

Technically, I should award myself one today!!

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER

Why. Wot you done?

Comment

your supposed to dish them out to us not the other way round..
                    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce1067
                      your supposed to dish them out to us not the other way round..

Yeah, but I would be a hypocrite if I didn't get one for what I just did!

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
                        Why. Wot you done?

I, umm, kinda,........................ .................assembled the insulators the wrong way 'round on the glowplug busbar and blew the fuse

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce1067
                          i thought you were going to say pop the bonnet and see if you've run over a horse...
                          I was going to suggest a trapped shetland pony, but I thought I should try and be serious.

I've heard stories of muntjac deer getting caught in front grilles (unharmed).

Comment

I, umm, kinda,........................ .................assembled the insulators the wrong way 'round on the glowplug busbar and blew the fuse
                            Speak up Vince I can't hear you.

Nev

Comment

Thanks Nev!!!!!!

On a positive note, I've modified the 80amp fuse assembly so that I can just pull it out if it ever, ahem, blows again.
                              Getting the glowplug fuse out took longer than replacing the blummin; glowplugs!!

Comment

Working...
                              X