2.4 lte efi engine problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.4 lte efi engine problem

hi all im appealing to the technical minded ones out there,my mate has a 91 2.4 efi... hes gradually lost power over the last few days and now it wont go above 20mph.we think its the bottom end going,as when you rev it anything above 2000 rpm it sounds like a bag of spanners rattling in the sump area.does anyone know approx how long/difficulty in removing the sump,whip the crank out and the pistons out?ive looked in my autodata but it only lists a 4 runner,or a 24 td hilux pick up at 4.5 hrs to do.i imagine the pick up would be easier due to axle height? im begining to think that a decent 2nd hand engine may be quicker and cheaper in the long run. any input/advice/prices or engines apreciated cheers
    DONT RUN WIV BIG DOGS IF U CANT PI** UP TALL TREES

Originally posted by WARRIOR72
    hi all im appealing to the technical minded ones out there,my mate has a 91 2.4 efi... hes gradually lost power over the last few days and now it wont go above 20mph.we think its the bottom end going,as when you rev it anything above 2000 rpm it sounds like a bag of spanners rattling in the sump area.does anyone know approx how long/difficulty in removing the sump,whip the crank out and the pistons out?ive looked in my autodata but it only lists a 4 runner,or a 24 td hilux pick up at 4.5 hrs to do.i imagine the pick up would be easier due to axle height? im begining to think that a decent 2nd hand engine may be quicker and cheaper in the long run. any input/advice/prices or engines apreciated cheers
    Is there any oil pressure? if the big ends have gone the oil pressure should be through the floor! normally the oil pressure should be over the 1st marker on the gauge, with big ends blown it normally struggles to leave the lower end of the scale.

Also if you look at the 4 runner 2.4tdi on autodata the times are similar
    Bring me the head of a treehugger

Comment

Agree. See if there is oil pressure first, then check that the turbo is spinning freely (by hand) Could also be that the timing belt has jumped a tooth or two causing fueling problems such as diesel knock.

Comment

ill pop over tomo and have a look at it cheers (but i feel very guilty turning up there with my surf running fine and his sitting there sounding very sorry for itself) must admit i didnt check oil pressure
        but if the timing skipped a tooth would it still run ok up to 2000 rpm ? when it does go over theres no smoke or 'missing' as such just loads of noise ?!

Comment

ill pop over tomo and have a look at it cheers (but i feel very guilty turning up there with my surf running fine and his sitting there sounding very sorry for itself) must admit i didnt check oil pressure
          but if the timing skipped a tooth would it still run ok up to 2000 rpm ? when it does go over theres no smoke or 'missing' as such just loads of noise ?!

It'll run, but it'll sound/feel really rough.

Comment

thats the thing its absolutely perfect up to 2000 mate,doesnt miss a beat but over that be jesus..... ive put my stethoscope on the sump and lost the hearing in my right ear for two days

Comment

thats the thing its absolutely perfect up to 2000 mate,doesnt miss a beat but over that be jesus..... ive put my stethoscope on the sump and lost the hearing in my right ear for two days

Oil pick-up pipe in the sump blocked?

Comment

spoken to mate he said oil pressure is fine all the time!?

Comment

Working...
                X