Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• auto box problem

help needed!!!
    my 91 2.4 ssr surf has developed a problem and 'cos its my first auto i don't have a clue where the problem lies.
    the truck will not reverse,just revs under load as if park mode is selected with drive, sometimes it will judder backwards, sometimes it works!!
    selecting neutral gives you a low drive, sometimes it judders, sometimes it works.
    l1, l2 and drive work fine!!
    any ideas guys???(and gals)

Gearbox linkage, there's a thread on here somewhere i was conversing in a few months back. Give me a minute i'll find it.
    =========
    =SOLD UP!=
    =========

Comment

It could be a soleniod or other electrical malfunction.
      Check the fluid level first though.

Comment

Just found it, but i ended up sending emails instead of the forum, so it should still be on the other computer. Will post more when i can, but there's a nut where the linkage goes into the gearbox, and a washer had split behind this on mine, i had very similar symptoms.
        =========
        =SOLD UP!=
        =========

Comment

Cheers for replys so far.
          I think I will change oil (ATF) as matter of course (what about filter/strainer?) I think the level maybe a little high but always has been.
          The washer theory sounds quite likely. It first happened a couple of weeks ago (night before MOT) but righted itself when I took it for a drive and has been ok since. Until now, when it works very intermittently and is faulty more often than not.
          Thanks again. Rob.
          Last edited by guppytuned; 5 December 2006, 01:16.

Comment

ATF fluid, not engine oil.

Comment

Copied straight from the email i sent to another forum member, there was a phonecall aswell but i think it makes sense without it?

This bolt, found on the drivers side of the gearbox, towards the front. Just behind where the exhaust downpipe crosses over from the driver’s side to the passenger side of the truck.

What had happened on mine is that the locking washer between the gearbox and the bolt numbered 2 had cracked allowing bolt 2 to come loose, and therefore not selecting the gears correctly. Every gear including neutral, and reverse wanted to go forward.

If you can get someone to sit in the truck and move the gear selector, bolt 1 should move with the mechanism, while bolt 2 should not move. If bolt 2 moves you may find the repair a lot cheaper than you were expecting.

The cause of the problem on mine was caused by the gearbox overheating because the Auto-transmission fluid cooler (runs along the bottom of the radiatior behind the number plate and front cross member) was caked in mud. The extra heat had caused the washer to heat up and crack.

If it turns out this is the problem you have got bolt 2 needs tightening up and a new washer, the selector mechanism then has some adjustment in the other end of the linkage to set it up so the gears match up with the selector.
              =========
              =SOLD UP!=
              =========

Comment

Working...
              X