Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• turbo seals

Hi sufs

I have a oil leak around turbo area it is not a hose but seems to be from unit itself. are there seals inside the turbo? my truck is a 2.4 TD hilux surf 1990
    could it have something to do with the fact that i overfilled it with oil in the engine a bit and then went on a motoway burnup, if there are seals going, how do i buy them? and is it a fairly easy job? I am reasonably mechanical..

Thanks Shiny

Whereabouts on the turbo is the oil leaking from?

Comment

turbo

thats a difficult one to answer, it would appear the oil is coming out of the thin spindle type object, but i will gunk it off and try and get a better picture
      and report back...thanks..

Comment

turbo seals?? can you identify?

Hi Surfs

I gunked off the oil to see where leak was coming from.. here are two pictures that show there are some small holes around the alloy bit, that is where it seems to be leaking from one of them, it also looks as if it has had the washer treatment and the bolt has been packed with additional washers
        my turbo green light gave up ages ago.. tubo working ok can hear it whistling
        but would like to try and solve the oil leak if i can...Thanks Shiny 2.4 TD Hilux Surf 1990

Comment

That is the wastegate. and the washers are on the wrong side to pack it out... if that is what was intended...

Clean all of the turbo off and see if you get a leak from anywhere else... there is no oil feed to the wastegate itself...

Comment

what youve propably got there is oil getting into the compressor housing. of the turbo and into the vacum tube that operates the diaphram that controls the waste gate,often associated with a lot of oil in the intake pipe from the air cleaner.check for blocked breathers.take off the intake pipe and give it a clean up.
            www.overfab.uk

Comment

By the looks of it, that could be coming from anywhere. Leaking turbo oil
              feed banjo fitting, oil filter not on tight, oil in the intake from crankcase
              breather. Clean all the oil off and look for where the leak is originating. With
              all that splatter on, you'll never be able to trace it. Is the air intake elbow
              hose to the turbo split?

Comment

Working...
              X