No announcement yet.

Disaster......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Insurance co I work for as an engineer always want all the above done so we will re insure the vehicle . Other insurance co's may not want these done .As we insure so many scrotts we need to make sure all is well covered in case of a scam .
    Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Hi Vagrant, how much would an independent engineers report cost?

In your experience is it possible to avoid the car being written off? I don't think the damage is that severe, especially for anyone used to working on Surfs. I don't understand why they can't give me the money they would give me should the car be written off, minus the cost of the salvage and my excess and then have the car sent elsewhere for repair? The reason stated so far for prooposing to write the car off is economics, not because the car would be dangerous once repaired.

Your insight into this would be much appreciated, many thanks.
      Last edited by Tonka; 12 December 2006, 13:02.

Comment

I do not know who you are insured with but most work this way :
        Vehicle repair costs fall below a pre set percentage of vehicle value :OK repair
        Vehicle repair costs fall above pre set percentage of vehicle value but under vehicle value :Total loss Cat D
        Vehicle cost of repair falls more then vehicle value but vehicle could be repaired with use of patent or secondhand parts and returned to road:Total loss Cat C
        Vehicle cost of repair falls more then vehicle value and vehicle has extensive damage and should not be repaired and not put back on road , break for spares only :Total loss Cat B
        Car burnt out , no salvagable parts :Cat A

Cat D are the most sort after as are total lossed for ecomomic reasons (I could go on more , but wont)
        Cat C are the most common and wot you probably have .These vehicles can have anything from 2 doors needed to a bodyshell , it all depends on the value of vehicle .
        I avoided my 4Runner being a total loss by being 'creative' (I will not write on here how!) . But for you to avoid a Cat C or even a Cat D will be hard . As Bob said , you could ask the insurance co to allow you a Contract repair so that the repair bill is guarentted by the repairer not to exceed a preset amount (below a Cat D amount) .You need to provide them an estimate to show that . It would be the engineer duty to consider if this is a safe and practical option on your vehicle , all cases are different depending on type of damage etc .
        If he insists on total loss you would have to decide if buying the salvage ,less excess , off vehicle value will leave you any money enough to actually make a good repair to vehicle .
        You may find that the Insurance cost will be higher to re insure as a total loss , and the resale value will be lower as no one wants to buy a repaired total loss .
        A CIL (Cash in Lieu ) maybe possible , but I dought they would consider it due to the high estimate already on vehicle .
        Hope this explains a little more of the workings of the engineers , but I am not very good at writting things down , better at talking (I think).

Comment

Thanks Vagrant 2, much appreciate that talk through. I think what I could do with at this stage is to get an independent assessment of the damage, preferably from someone who knows their Surfs. Any volunteers??!!

One more question for Vagrant 2, if I do get all the work done how much will an independent engineers report set me back?

Thanks again to all.

Comment

Originally posted by Tonka
            Thanks Vagrant 2, much appreciate that talk through. I think what I could do with at this stage is to get an independent assessment of the damage, preferably from someone who knows their Surfs. Any volunteers??!!

One more question for Vagrant 2, if I do get all the work done how much will an independent engineers report set me back?

Thanks again to all.
            That depends on your Insurance co requirements . I believe an independant can charge £45 - £60 + vat . I am not allowed to do any due to my company regs or I would do it for you as I am in Cheshire 2 times a year approx .

Comment

That depends on your Insurance co requirements . I believe an independant can charge £45 - £60 + vat . I am not allowed to do any due to my company regs or I would do it for you as I am in Cheshire 2 times a year approx
              Ah so is this something the insurance company would arrange when you go to them for insurance on a previously written off car? Or something I arrange?

Comment

Ah so is this something the insurance company would arrange when you go to them for insurance on a previously written off car? Or something I arrange?
                You have to arrange yourself .

Comment

Old beast makes glorious recovery.............

Many thanks to Bob (Hilux) for arranging the repair and to Joe and all the boys at BMC. The quality of the repair is outstanding, to be honest the front half of the car is now in far better nick than before the prang! And great value for money too.

Great to be back on the road! Now to go off-road!

Comment

Many thanks to Bob (Hilux) for arranging the repair and to Joe and all the boys at BMC. The quality of the repair is outstanding, to be honest the front half of the car is now in far better nick than before the prang! And great value for money too.

Great to be back on the road! Now to go off-road!
                    Wheres the Pics then Before & After
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                    (")_(")

Comment

Just imagine a Surf with a completely bashed in front end and then imagine a Surf with a perfect brand new one!!

I will definitely post some piccies, I would have earlier but it hasn't stopped raining so far today.

Comment

Just imagine a Surf with a completely bashed in front end and then imagine a Surf with a perfect brand new one!!

I will definitely post some piccies, I would have earlier but it hasn't stopped raining so far today.
                        Good on ya Bud !!!!
                        You'll soon be Surfin again & Offroadind too ..... We done

There's always a Payback .... You just don't see it Comin !!!!
                        Buncefield Burner

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
                          A capital w and a full stop?
                          Or even a capital w and a question mark IOW

Comment

Well you've really lost me there!! Wrong thread?

Comment

Originally posted by jamsironwork
                              Or even a capital w and a question mark IOW
                              Isle of WIGHT ?
                              Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Working...
                              X