• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine block coolant drain plug

Just thought I'd ask. Does anyone actually know if it really does exist,
    and if so, where, (and I have assumed that it will be on the block before
    anyone offers that pearl of wisdom).

Cheers.

Nearside mid rear of block? Is that deduction even close?

Comment

This help? 11415A

Nev

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev
        This help? 11415A

Nev

Thanks Nev.

Comment

Had a look today to find it, and can see the one shown on that diagram.
          Talk about an awkward spot. No idea how hard it'll be to reach from
          underneath, but it's smack behind the pipes from the fuel pump to the
          injectors. No wonder I could never find it. Cheers again Nev.

Just as another slight sidetrack, is there a general rule of thumb as to
          how often, in mileage or time, to change the thermostat?

Comment

No real age, some last forever, best just to do it if your doing something else that involves taking it off, then you can forget about it.

If the motor has got hot a few times its more likely to fail.
            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
              No real age, some last forever, best just to do it if your doing something else that involves taking it off, then you can forget about it.

If the motor has got hot a few times its more likely to fail.
              It was replaced back end of last year, and it's had no overheating issues
              to deal with. I'm going to be flushing and refilling when I finally get this
              leak/suction problem sorted, (I think there's still a bit of that blo0dy radflush
              in the sytem somewhere), so just wondered whether it was worthwhile
              replacing whilst I'm at it? Cheers again Tony. Much appreciated.

Comment

Well, whomever decided on the location of that drain plug is an absolute
                sadistic b@stard. You can't get to it from below because of the sump,
                it doesn't appear to be accessible from the wheel arch unless you have
                rubber arms, and from the engine bay it's a precarious balancing trick with
                a socket on the end of an extension, and even then it might not get there.
                Just been checking for the best way to reach it. Hah. Appears to be more
                of an IF rather than BEST. Can see me getting my hand stuck tomorrow.

Comment

Just as a preemptive question, before I get my hand or the spanner stuck, ,
                  anyone know what size bolt head it is? Looks to be around 17mm from what
                  I can tell, but I'd just like to attack it with the correct size to start if possible.

Comment

Sorry Matt, no idea what size it is. Never removed mine and now know why. I just flush the cooling system by rumming engine with straight distilled water when needed. Looks to be a bush with a plug in the end so if you attempt to remove it maybe you'll need two spanners. One for the plug and one to hold the bush in position.

nev

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev
                      Sorry Matt, no idea what size it is. Never removed mine and now know why. I just flush the cooling system by rumming engine with straight distilled water when needed. Looks to be a bush with a plug in the end so if you attempt to remove it maybe you'll need two spanners. One for the plug and one to hold the bush in position.

nev
                      17mm. . Sanity kicked in before I removed it, however. Spent 3/4's of
                      an hour, with approx. an 18" extension on the socket to get to it, and then
                      realised that if it was that awkward to get to, I'd be buggered trying to put
                      it back in, and that if it leaked, likewise. So, being a true perfectionist, I
                      chickened out and left it. Flushed the system with the hosepipe, and
                      then poured deionised water through after that.

Comment

Working...
                      X