Rear Window Of Death

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Window Of Death

After much time/effort/money I have managed to sort out quite a few of the problems that my surf had when I bought it a few months ago, I have changed the radiator, changed the timing belt, fixed the exhaust, sorted the breaks, changed all the fluids and filters and fixed the broken anti roll bar bracket. She now runs like a dream. Damn rear window of death is still playing up (it seems like this is quite a common fault).

I have taken the thing to pieces and I think I may have identified the problem....

When you turn the key you can hear the motor running and it does open and close the window but you need to help it on its way, if you don't it just gets stuck and jerks up and down. On the metal assembly that opens and closes the window there is a coil of metal on the right hand side, this appears to be the cause of the sticking. I have used a whole tin of WD40 over the course of a couple of months and have hit it several times with a hammer, which seems to help a bit but not much.

Does anyone know how to fix this bit without having to fork out for a whole new assembly??

One assumes you have tried cleaning the grooves in the window rubber first?

Comment

You eating plums Matt?

Comment

Originally posted by Nellington
        After much time/effort/money I have managed to sort out quite a few of the problems that my surf had when I bought it a few months ago, I have changed the radiator, changed the timing belt, fixed the exhaust, sorted the breaks, changed all the fluids and filters and fixed the broken anti roll bar bracket. She now runs like a dream. Damn rear window of death is still playing up (it seems like this is quite a common fault).

I have taken the thing to pieces and I think I may have identified the problem....

When you turn the key you can hear the motor running and it does open and close the window but you need to help it on its way, if you don't it just gets stuck and jerks up and down. On the metal assembly that opens and closes the window there is a coil of metal on the right hand side, this appears to be the cause of the sticking. I have used a whole tin of WD40 over the course of a couple of months and have hit it several times with a hammer, which seems to help a bit but not much.

Does anyone know how to fix this bit without having to fork out for a whole new assembly??

Get a can of this and spray it everywhere the glas touches/rubs.

Mr Sheen works too!

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
          You eating plums Matt?
          Bugger. Nearly let my (lack of?) image slip then.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
            Bugger.

3 2 1 .......... you're back in the room!

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
              3 2 1 .......... you're back in the room!
              Cheers old chap.

Comment

The motor drive has rubber laminate between the metal surfaces to damp the noise/vibration and a nylon toothed sprocket. This rubber becomes unstuck and works like a clutch for a while. Like a clutch it will wear out. I took mine apart, as did Vince. Vince managed to glue his. The glue didn't hold on mine so I put three small nuts and bolts through. I havent noticed that it is noisier and it whizzez up and down like a good'un.
                It's only a hobby!

Comment

Working...
                X