fan swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nero279
    What fans did you use? were they relatively easy to fit? And what did you do with the redundant viscous coupling? Plate over it? Leave part of it there? This is the bit that's worrying me most. Should i be worried?
    Tony used 2 air con fans from the Surf . They fitted in front of coolant rad , but our petrol 1st gens are different from your 2nd / 3rd gens .
    As for the viscous fan , I just took it off and left the stub of the coolant pump there .
    Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

What fans did you use? were they relatively easy to fit? And what did you do with the redundant viscous coupling? Plate over it? Leave part of it there? This is the bit that's worrying me most. Should i be worried?
      Get 4 10mm bolts. Remove the viscous fan. Remove the studs. Use the 4
      bolts to bolt the pulley to the waterpump. You an leave the studs in place
      and use spacer washers under the nuts instead of replacing the studs with
      bolts, but you gain some clearance by replacing the studs with bolts.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
        If all the Jag ones are similiar, forget those. The twin diagonally spaced fans
        in the square shroud are at the opposite points where they would be best suited. Plus, if I remember correctly, the shroud is too deep.

Seen this Matt?....http://www.jagbits.com/31fanblades.html

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
          That'd be one hell of a scary bang. Once saw some pics of an engine
          bay after a fan parted company with itself. Severed the loom in several
          places, and left some vicious gouges in the bonnet.

Comment

If all the Jag ones are similiar, forget those. The twin diagonally spaced fans
            in the square shroud are at the opposite points where they would be best suited. Plus, if I remember correctly, the shroud is too deep.
            Not sure, reading the link to jagbits that bushwacker just posted i assume it refers to viscous fans. I was looking at aftermarket electric fans.

Where should i concentrate the cooling?
            =========
            =SOLD UP!=
            =========

Comment

That'd be one hell of a scary bang. Once saw some pics of an engine
              bay after a fan parted company with itself. Severed the loom in several
              places, and left some vicious gouges in the bonnet.

Do you mean these pics?

http://www.yankeetoys.org/lee/4runner_main.html

Near bottom of the page, click on the blue box 'exploding fans'

Comment

Not sure, reading the link to jagbits that bushwacker just posted i assume it refers to viscous fans. I was looking at aftermarket electric fans.

Where should i concentrate the cooling?
                Go back a page in this thread, and check the second post I made.

Below are some pics. One is the fan pulley with the fan removed and bolted
                onto the pump. Two is the fan unit I have installed in mine. The pic shows
                the side that sits up to the rad. Three is just because I could not resist.

Comment

Do you mean these pics?

http://www.yankeetoys.org/lee/4runner_main.html

Near bottom of the page, click on the blue box 'exploding fans'

That's the beastie.

Comment

So the cooling should be concetrated towards the top of the rad on the passenger side?

I was just looking at PACET fans on the demon tweeks website http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/produc...=B363&x=23&y=6 as they are about 1/2 the price of kenlowes if i have to buy new, as it seems to have been established that the 2nd gen air-con fans are probably not up to the job.

What do you think about the idea of using one from a different vehicle?

Also did yours come with the frame in the second pic or did you have that made yourself?
                    =========
                    =SOLD UP!=
                    =========

Comment

So the cooling should be concetrated towards the top of the rad on the passenger side?
                      Yup, That's where the hot water is entering. Work from that corner
                      diagonally to the bottom corner of the offside. Hottest point of the rad
                      is the inlet, coldest is the outlet. What parts you miss with the fan, you
                      will have airflow over as the vehicle is moving.

I was just looking at PACET fans on the demon tweeks website http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/produc...=B363&x=23&y=6 as they are about 1/2 the price of kenlowes if i have to buy new, as it seems to have been established that the 2nd gen air-con fans are probably not up to the job.

What do you think about the idea of using one from a different vehicle?
                      That's what mine is. A GM alloy shroud. I got several fans and just decided
                      to use that one for the best fit in that shroud. From the scr@pyard. Fan and
                      shroud cost a fiver. The rails are 20mm, (I think), angle iron. The rods
                      connecting the shroud to the side rails are 6mm threaded rod sleeved with
                      an 8mm steel tube as a strengthener. The two rods joining the rails that the
                      shroud sits in are the same.Total cost was under thirty quid. Took me blo0dy
                      hours of cutting, filing, shaping and tweaking though.

Comment

Yup, That's where the hot water is entering. Work from that corner
                        diagonally to the bottom corner of the offside. Hottest point of the rad
                        is the inlet, coldest is the outlet. What parts you miss with the fan, you
                        will have airflow over as the vehicle is moving.

That's what mine is. A GM alloy shroud. I got several fans and just decided
                        to use that one for the best fit in that shroud. From the scr@pyard. Fan and
                        shroud cost a fiver. The rails are 20mm, (I think), angle iron. The rods
                        connecting the shroud to the side rails are 6mm threaded rod sleeved with
                        an 8mm steel tube as a strengthener. The two rods joining the rails that the
                        shroud sits in are the same.Total cost was under thirty quid. Took me blo0dy
                        hours of cutting, filing, shaping and tweaking though.

Don't forget the blue paint.

Comment

Don't forget the blue paint.
                          That was fan number one. Still have that safely in the workshop as a
                          momento. Can't bear to get rid of it. Fan number two is black.

Comment

Don't know if this will give you a better idea of what it's like, but there's a
                            pic of the shroud before the frame was added, and various angles of the
                            completed assembly. The shroud originally had four mounting lugs on it, but
                            they were ground off before the first pic was taken. They also show how it
                            fits to the rad.

Comment

Originally posted by Vagrant No2
                              I copied Tony's twin fan set up but with a 3 position switch and a adjustable thermo switch . Also got warning lights wirred into set up so I know what the fan is doing .
                              Is that the inline alloy temp assembly that goes in the top hose? I assume
                              the switch is controlling relays? What's the third switch position for?

With regards to the L.E.D indicators, I didn't add them to the diagram so
                              that I could keep it looking understandable. They would merely need to
                              be connected to the normally dead side of the switch, then via a suitable
                              resistor to ground.

Comment

sorry to deviate slightly matt but would you know any reason why my air con fans would operate as and when they please even if air con is switched off? cheers
                                DONT RUN WIV BIG DOGS IF U CANT PI** UP TALL TREES

Comment

Working...
                                X