Cylinder Head 2.4 TD Removal!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cylinder Head 2.4 TD Removal!

Hi Guys after spending hours reading posts etc and the write up on the removal of the head i just need some points clarified! Im replacing the head with a new fully built head which is to swap over with exisiting.

Iv started the removal process,

So far iv stripped alot of the required parts out of the way:

Ive basically: drained rad, removed fan shroud/viscous fan/hoses/electrical connectors/throttle body/cables/air cond pump/undone the injector metal feed pipes/undone what i could with inlet manifold/compelety undone turbo bolts/nuts.

What is left is: the exhaust manifold and on inlet side iv got the manifold with top bolts/nuts removed, cant get to the bottom ones and need to know do they need to be removed??

I havent yet removed : the rocker cover (but have unbolted it), timing cover, crank bolt thingy (how do i do this?), injectors, glows plugs. How many of these items actually need removing?

So i guess i just need some advise on what actually needed to be removed to now get to the head and get it whipped off!

Can anyone who has done this share their knowledge to get me sorted!??

Thanks in advance

If you have help to lift everything, leave the intake and exhaust manifold alone. Unbolt the exhaust where it connects to the back of the turbo.

There is a bracket lower down on the turbo to remove and the oil feed pipes under the turbo.

The front needs to come off, Aircon bracket, crank pulley (big bolt in middle) then cam cover and cam belt.

Then you can take the rocker cover off and undo the head bolts and lift it off. I use an engine crane. Otherwise you need 2 or 3 people.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Thanks for that, ive got an engine crane so lifting it out shouldnt be a problem.

What about other stuff like glow plug, injectors that iv read about, do they need to be removed?

Thanks again il give this a shot later today.

Comment

Nah, I strip the head on the bench, just undo the connections to the glow plug bus bar (there is a electrical connection right under the intake manifold as well), fuel return and the injector pipes.
        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Hi, Ive attached a pic of my progress this evening, turbo is off and also rocker cover. Head bolts are all now visible.

The battery is flat so havent been able to remove crank pulley, will let it charge and do that tommorow.

So what do you think chances are of getting the head of with manifolds attached?

il post more pics later!

Comment

i got the bottom manifold bolts out with a wobbly extension, then lifted the head off and took the manifolds off it as it came.
            665 the neighbour of the beast

Comment

Quick update since previous post i have

Removed the aircon bracket
              Disconnected the coolant/heater matrix hoses from front
              Removed all the top nuts for the inlet manifold & bracket for dipstick
              Removed crank pulley/bolt using the crank over method - easy
              Removed timing cover
              Set 6/12 clock position to line top dead centre by turning crank till lined up
              secured belt to pulley on injector pump and free wheel to hold in place
              Undone all the head bolts
              Given the head a lift from back to break seal on block - was extremely tight!

==

Im going to tilt the head by lifting from back to slip belt off and install new head in same way as belt was already changed not long ago.

Only concern is that when i lifted the head from back the inlet manifold side didnt seem to like the force, the fluid dipstick seemed to have jumped a little, bolts holding it to inlet were already off.

Is there any thing else that needs to be off and also how far can i lift the head up before anything breaks for when im attempt to open the lower inlet manifold bolts?

Cheers

Comment

from that pic you seem to still have the bracket that runs under the exhaust manifold onto the block on it. thats got 2 bolts either isde of the oil filter holding it on

Comment

i just put mine back on today and got it as far as manifolds on and head in place. need to torque it all up next, then its turbo on and all the fiddly pipes and stuff. one more afternoon and i reckon she will be done
                  Last edited by 227angrydonkeys; 5 November 2006, 17:59.

Comment

Hi guys to update on mine i have now removed the head!
                    It did come out with inlet and exhaust manifold still attached, the earth connector at bottom of inlet was removed and all pipes pushed out the way.

Using engine crane its easy as i was able to keep lifting a little whilst checking underneath for anything left connected/holding it back.

The new head i bought was complete with cam/valves. Iv transferred the injectors and glow plugs and the two pipes, the water filler reservoir and cam gear wheel with the metal housing behind it. Not to forget the half moon blanking piece at back of the head.

Iv also removed the old radiator and bought a new one for £90 so not a bad do!

Now i need to clean/s$$$$e the block and prepare, I did manage to damage one of the dowels on the block, the front one which guides the head gasket, do you think i should replace it or just position it manually and using the rear dowel?

More pics to follow tonight!

Comment

Working...
                    X