blown head?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blown head?

As I am getting white exhaust smoke and coolant loss (expansion tank boiling over) without any visible leak, I am suspecting the notorious blown head syndrome. A new thermostat and rad cap went in a couple of weeks ago. I am at the moment carrying out Bushwhackers airlock removal technique (stone cold engine - rad cap off - fill stat housing every hour), and if no improvement tomorrow I guess I'll have to accept it.

One thing though - two things actually, I have put fuel injector cleaner in recently and I suspect that the electric radiator fan is not kicking in.

Could the first of these cause the white smoke and the second the overheating and water loss?

Be grateful for your experience and expertise.
    Last edited by Vic1958; 26 October 2006, 21:20.
    Vic

Firstly, did you put the thermostsat in the right way up? It has a little jiggle valve in it that should be at the top, it's kinda like a little hole with a tiny ball held in place by a metal ring.

Second, check the rubber seal in the rad cap is not torn or distorted, and is sealing the neck of the thermostat housing properly when fitted.

Third, when engine is hot, look closely for pin-hole leaks in the radiator, they normally 'go' along the front seam next to the bonnet catch, or near the top hose outlet. Make sure your radiator drain tap is tight, it's on the pasenger side, at the bottom facing the engine.

Fourth, always keep the end of the expansion tank tube submerged, or better, always keep the expansion tank one third full.

Fifth, If all of the above is OK, and you're still losing water, get a pressure test done on the cooling system.

Sixth, To check if the electric fan is working, switch on ignition and pull off the round grey plug under the rad cap, the fan should come on.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
      Firstly,
      Second,
      Third,
      Fourth,
      Fifth,
      Sixth,
      Seventhly, accept it - white smoke in the exhaust = head problems. It's almost always the head, rarely just the gasket.

Been there, etc.....
      Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Originally posted by The Lovely Boyo
        Seventhly, accept it - white smoke in the exhaust = head problems. It's almost always the head, rarely just the gasket.

Been there, etc.....

Jeez, kick a fella when he's down!!

I was trying to break it to him gently.

Comment

Jeez, kick a fella when he's down!!

I was trying to break it to him gently.
          I know. but sometimes its the best way = tough love or something like that.......

Comment

Ha Ha Ha - sob sob

It's almost worth having a knackered cylinder head for the humorous feedback...but not quite.

I ran through your list Vince and all seems to be as it should. The only thing I haven't done is a pressure test on the rad.

Given that it is the head, is there something anyone can recommend that will seal the cracks in it. If I can do this while keeping my journeys short (to and from work), while keeping the coolant topped up, it might give me some time to raise the money for a new one.

After a couple of years neglect, I learn how to service her through this forum (forever grateful) - changed all the filters - new stat and rad cap - new oil and coolant - new brake pads - greased all the chassis and balljoints - changed the diff oil - new outer track rod end and a tyre ...and she goes and blows her top!

Is a blown head some sort of rite of passage for forum newcomers?

Anyway, I'd be grateful for any advice as to how I can keep her going for a while until I can get a new cylinder head.
            Vic

Comment

Originally posted by Vic1958
              It's almost worth having a knackered cylinder head for the humorous feedback...but not quite.
              Hello

The rad weld type route will only cost you money - I've not heard of any of those products that really do work. But if your only pottering around and keeping a close eye on things you may be OK.

Be careful. I badly scalded my hand when rushing a top up (tried the same route as you before getting it sorted).

Regards

Comment

Ta Lovely Boyo - while you're here can you tell me if it would be of any benefit to keep the electric rad fan on permanently, rather than let it switch itself on (in terms of keeping things cool I mean)? Or is that a daft idea?

Also, referring back to the old head/overheating problem - is it normal for the temperature gauge to show warm - that is just touching the thermometer pic - after only 1 mile. This happens each morning from cold.

I'm probably clutching at straws here in terms of blown head denial, but hey...all part of being a surfer I suppose

Thanks LB
                Vic

Comment

They warm up very quickly - follow the pipes around the engine and you'll see they been designed that way.

Probably better to take the thermostat out if you want to keep the temp. down - you'll use a bit more fuwl but not much - it'll stay cooler in this weather, and there'll be less build p of pressure with lower temps.

EDIT - Garages can test for the presence of combustion gases in the coolant - takes minutes and doesn't cost much - at least you'll know for sure.
                  Last edited by The Lovely Boyo; 27 October 2006, 18:32.

Comment

Now that's interesting. What does the thermostat do then LB - allow it to heat up for the heaters? As a newbie I assumed it kept the coolant from getting too hot Jeez I wish I'd got into car mechanics when I were young!

So maybe taking the thermo out and keeping things cooler, this would help the head to survive a bit longer - along with keeping coolant topped up etc. I just need a couple of months to finance a new head.

If what I just suggested is complete drivel though, please ignore. Tough love can work.

I'll take her to the garage next week to get the coolant tested - thanks.
                    Last edited by Vic1958; 27 October 2006, 21:42.
                    Vic

Comment

Originally posted by Vic1958
                      Now that's interesting. What does the thermostat do then LB - allow it to heat up for the heaters?
                      The thermostat is more important to the engine than most people know.

The least of its jobs is to keep you warm, its main job is to keep the engine from blowing up.

It stays closed, allowing engine temp to build up, then slowly opens allowing coolant to do its job. It's important that the engine runs at its optimum temp.

When under heavy load and the thermo is fully open, the aux fan will kick in to help cool things down.

Winter project for me is to fit oil cooler for the auto box - I tow a lot, and this mod will reduce demands on the engine coolant.

EDIT - having said all that - you can still take it out!
                      Last edited by The Lovely Boyo; 27 October 2006, 23:03.

Comment

Originally posted by The Lovely Boyo
                        - you'll use a bit more fuwl but not much -

hehehe!! is that how you say fuel with a 'valleys' accent?

Comment

hehehe!! is that how you say fuel with a 'valleys' accent?
                          still better than putting fool lol
                          If it aint broke dont fix it

Comment

Online Surf Guide?

Thanks LB. I'm thinking that an Idiots Guide type of online manual for Surf technician wannabees would go down well. I for one would pay a few quid for it. If a few of the experienced Surfers put together some articles (like the post about what the thermostat does) it would be a great resource for the website/forum and might raise a few pennies.

I know we can search for information on the forum, but to have it all in a single, organised and printable format could be good.

Yet another of my ideas - all involving other people doing the work
                            Vic

Comment

Working...
                            X