Starting Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting Problems

My 1993 2.4 EFI Turbo was not starting up so well, I was listening for the clunk of the relay, sometimes i had to re-glow the plugs twice or three times, lots of smoke and lumpy engine on start up (all the unburned fuel i guess) it was even dragging my 2 batteries down to a slow turnover.

I took the plunge and have removed and tested the glow plugs, suprise suprise two of them were not glowing

Four working glow plugs and now starting is almost instant, but i am still getting a little unevenness in engine beat until it warms up, any thoughts?

Originally posted by iwoo
    My 1993 2.4 EFI Turbo was not starting up so well, I was listening for the clunk of the relay, sometimes i had to re-glow the plugs twice or three times, lots of smoke and lumpy engine on start up (all the unburned fuel i guess) it was even dragging my 2 batteries down to a slow turnover.

I took the plunge and have removed and tested the glow plugs, suprise suprise two of them were not glowing

Four working glow plugs and now starting is almost instant, but i am still getting a little unevenness in engine beat until it warms up, any thoughts?

Dirty/worn injectors.
    Empty a bottle of Redex diesel fuel system cleaner into your fuel tank, or if your fuel filter is due for renewal, empty the Redex into the filter before refitting. (ignore what the instructions say, just empty the lot in.)

If this doesn't cure the problem, then you'll need new or reconditioned injectors.

Comment

Thanks for the advice

Comment

i had same thing about a month ago and i found it to be dirty injectors.. they arent spraying correctly till warm and tend to dribble out when cold .had them checked and re conditioned for about £70 for all four.now idles perfickt and i swear i got more uumph lol.redex will definately help but i found it rather short-term so to say. good luck
        DONT RUN WIV BIG DOGS IF U CANT PI** UP TALL TREES

Comment

same problem

Ya mon I have a 90' Hilux 2.4, same thing, we tested the glow plugs and I have one dead shorted and one on the way out, sooo live in Canada and they are on the way , I have ordered four from the States. But Deisel engines are like a person in the morning, you get out of bed, you stumble slowly to the kitchen, you grogily make coffee,, eventually when you show up to work ,,,, your running.. Okay? DO NOT rev it until its warm,,, drive down the street @ no more than 2000RPM once the temp is up she's ready. NOw my question. ya know that suspension button? hard or regular? that goes to a relay switch under the Hilux but on top of the shock,,, can I upgrade to a stiffer shock and still have that option work????

Comment

Originally posted by willymon
            ya know that suspension button? hard or regular? that goes to a relay switch under the Hilux but on top of the shock,,, can I upgrade to a stiffer shock and still have that option work????
            If you replace the shocks, after market ones will not have dual setting, so the switch won't work. Procomp ES9000's for instance = harder all the time.

Replacement Toyota shocks will have dual setting, but you just end up with what you've got now (unless your shocks are knackered).
            Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Originally posted by The Lovely Boyo
              If you replace the shocks, after market ones will not have dual setting, so the switch won't work. Procomp ES9000's for instance = harder all the time.

Replacement Toyota shocks will have dual setting, but you just end up with what you've got now (unless your shocks are knackered).

Translation for our trans-atlantic cousins......

'knackered'

British slang verb for describing something that is severely tired or worn out.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                Translation for our trans-atlantic cousins......

'knackered'

British slang verb for describing something that is severely tired or worn out.
                a bit like my mrs
                https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

lol
                  DONT RUN WIV BIG DOGS IF U CANT PI** UP TALL TREES

Comment

Working...
                  X