clicking, clanking from rear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clicking, clanking from rear

I have a 96 2.4 Hilux utility two-wheel drive. I am in NZ.

For the last week, I have been noticing a clicking or clanking from the rear end. It happens when slowing down or going downhill under engine braking but is unaffected by putting brakes on or taking them off so doesn't seem to be the brakes. If it is making the noise and I declutch, the noise stops. Sounds kind like a very loose exhaust bracket or a tin can being banged on the ground (the exhaust is on tightly, of course). I suspect the driveshaft or differential. It only happens under engine braking and stops when I declutch. Does that suggest anything to anyone?

It seems to happen more when i am towing something but it isn't just then, unfortunately.

Rear ANTIROLL BAR rubbers attached to the back axle?? The bracket may have snapped.
    But if you have leaf springs im not sure of the setup.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

Hi matey..Im From Dunners originally a pom ... last year i had the same strange noise on my truck,throttle of and clunky rattle noise correct? anyway i let it go on for about a week thinking it was nothing,,As it went the nut had wound loose on the back of the shaft going into the Diff causing it to malfunction and Fark the diff up,,Had to get a new one,,If your is the same and it sounds it,get it looked at straight away,,B4 labour weekend

Comment

it's a universal joint thrust washer

Hi, Whirly, my mechanic told me today that it sounds like a universal joint thrust washer (I think that is what he said) and that it is an easy fix. He is getting one and says I can use his pit to fit it on Saturday. Thank god, I couldn't afford a new diff just now. Sorry to hear about yours. I am near Palmie in the North Island.

Comment

Working...
        X