Battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery

I recently started having problems with the starting of my surf. Seemed that when left over night or long periods it failed to start and i would have to start it via a booster battery pack or another car. I took it round to the local battery/tyre place and they checked the battery and said it was on its way out. So i bought a new one on saturday fitted it and on the sunday morning gave it the first attemp of starting and away she went. Thought the problem was solved, however on the monday when i went to start her again it failed to start. It just gives a fast clicking sound when i turn her over but will start with a jump from another motor. I am assuming the starter motor or maybe the bushes in the starter need replacing , i am not that mechanically minded so can any of you guys point me in the right direction please , Thanks.

Could be the starter, but fast clicking is normally low battery. The failing contacts normally just click once and you just no cranking for each turn of the key. Get the new battery checked first, they do fail, then get the charging system checked out and see if anything is draining it on the car.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Just a thought, but does your Surf have just the one battery? If it has two, and you've only changed one, then the other battery could be dragging the new battery down as well..

Seems odd that it doesn't start on it's own battery, but will with a jump battery connected. Points to the battery, rather than a starter problem, to me.
      It just does, OK?

Comment

sounds like something is staying on overnight draining the battery down hence ok first night now flat again.maybe a rear interior light staying on or something similar.have you had the alternator checked out.. not all of them make the battery light come on to indicate a charging fault.. for the sake of a fiver/drink id run it to a local garage and get them to check the charging rate and circuit. ive had a few(not surfs) have broken wires in the charging circuit loom and even something as simple as a dirty connection on the alternator .good luck
        DONT RUN WIV BIG DOGS IF U CANT PI** UP TALL TREES

Comment

Originally posted by dave.j.robbo
          Just a thought, but does your Surf have just the one battery? If it has two, and you've only changed one, then the other battery could be dragging the new battery down as well..

Seems odd that it doesn't start on it's own battery, but will with a jump battery connected. Points to the battery, rather than a starter problem, to me.
          No , my surf has two batterys and i did only change the one , am i right in thinking that the right hand battery as you look at the front of the surf is the one used to start it as this is the one i connect to when jumping it ?

Comment

Originally posted by WARRIOR72
            sounds like something is staying on overnight draining the battery down hence ok first night now flat again.maybe a rear interior light staying on or something similar.have you had the alternator checked out.. not all of them make the battery light come on to indicate a charging fault.. for the sake of a fiver/drink id run it to a local garage and get them to check the charging rate and circuit. ive had a few(not surfs) have broken wires in the charging circuit loom and even something as simple as a dirty connection on the alternator .good luck
            I have checked for things like the interior lights , radio staying on , switches all off etc and am fairly happy that all is off.

Comment

Originally posted by Slugger
              No , my surf has two batterys and i did only change the one , am i right in thinking that the right hand battery as you look at the front of the surf is the one used to start it as this is the one i connect to when jumping it ?
              Both the batteries are used to start the engine, but if one is knackered, then the 'good' battery will drain quickly too!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
                Could be the starter, but fast clicking is normally low battery. The failing contacts normally just click once and you just no cranking for each turn of the key. Get the new battery checked first, they do fail, then get the charging system checked out and see if anything is draining it on the car.
                Thanks TonyN , will get all these things checked tomorrow at a garage.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                  Both the batteries are used to start the engine, but if one is knackered, then the 'good' battery will drain quickly too!
                  So if i tried jumping off the other battery and it started , would this be an indication of the other battery failing also ?

Comment

No. The batteries on Surfs are wired in parallel, to increase the CCA (amperage). There is NOT a split charge system fitted as standard.

One knackered battery will affect both batteries. If you've only replaced one, then, as a test, you could disconnect the earth lead from the battery you haven't changed, and run on just one battery for a while. My money is on that this will work, and you need to buy another battery..
                    Last edited by dave.j.robbo; 17 October 2006, 22:42.
                    It just does, OK?

Comment

No. The batteries on Surfs are wired in parallel, to increase the CCA (amperage). There is NOT a split charge system fitted as standard.

One knackered battery will affect both batteries. If you've only replaced one, then, as a test, you could disconnect the earth lead from the battery you haven't changed, and run on just one battery for a while. My money is on that this will work, and you need to buy another battery..

Disconnect the positive terminal is best.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                        Disconnect the positive terminal is best.
                        Shouldn't make any difference, but at least if it's the negative, it's easier to tuck away somewhere. A 'loose' positive has the possibility of shorting out on the bodywork...
                        It just does, OK?

Comment

Shouldn't make any difference, but at least if it's the negative, it's easier to tuck away somewhere. A 'loose' positive has the possibility of shorting out on the bodywork...

Point taken.

Comment

Cheers to all you guys for the advice , done everthing suggested and sure enough it seems the other battery is also faulty. Have been running on just the one battery for two days with no problems.
                            I can get hold of a brand new 12v tractor battery for £20 a third of the price i have just paid for the other battery. A mates mate who does up landrovers gets them and uses them all the time , he sais they are of slightly higher CCA , would this be ok to use in my surf ? Once again cheers for the advice

Comment

Working...
                            X