Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '87 2.4td

Hi,
    Have had an old 87 surf for the past few months in need of an engine the one currently in it has some major issues.
    Just wanted to know what engine I could put in. I would love a 3.0 from a 93 or so landcruiser but not sure if it would go in easily? Also my engine says 2-lt but would I be able to get the newer 2.4 from the newer surfs I think its called a 2-lte to fit in? I think the 2-lt's are much harder to come by. Not sure about much with regard to these engines but any help would be great.
    Thanks,
    Jack

3.0 litre would be a nightmare and the 2L-TE would require the complete wiring harness, ECU and all the other bits. Stick with the 2L-T or a 2.8 and turbo that.

Nev

Comment

was sort of half expecting that. I have been quoted more expensive prices for the 2-lt rather than the 2-lte is this right?
      Also, are all the 2-lt's the same? All I have to do is find a 2-lt?
      Thanks for the help

Comment

Is the fuel rail and pump not the only differance on the lte? I heard that the lte was just electronic fule timing?
        What comes around goes around!!

Comment

Wouldn't the 'electronic' bit explain the wiring harness / ecu requirement?

See my post on how to plug something into a fag lighter before listening to me too carefully

I presume the 2LT costs more because there's not so many kicking about.

Stick a V8 in it. It will be fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho
            Stick a V8 in it. It will be fun.
            Why not go all the way.............

http://www.supertrux.com/4x4%20Photo38.htm
            Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Originally posted by j2dab
              was sort of half expecting that. I have been quoted more expensive prices for the 2-lt rather than the 2-lte is this right?
              Also, are all the 2-lt's the same? All I have to do is find a 2-lt?
              Thanks for the help
              A 2L-T may be harder to source but will be cheaper overall. Pay a little more for the engine but not have all the expense for the wiring, ECU etc installation. Early 2L-Ts had rockers rather than buckets and shims. Avoid these.

Nev

Comment

Wouldn't the 'electronic' bit explain the wiring harness / ecu requirement?
                Yes. 2L-TEs also have a Crank Angle Sensor and a Coolant Sensor in the block.

I presume the 2LT costs more because there's not so many kicking about.
                I'd say that would be the case over there.

Nev

Comment

Originally posted by Gazbo
                  Is the fuel rail and pump not the only differance on the lte? I heard that the lte was just electronic fule timing?
                  There's no fuel rail as on a direct injection engine. They are still indirect injection with mechanical injectors and a mechanical pump with electronic fuel control and a few other sensors on the engine.

Nev

Comment

Working...
                  X