Replacing head - Valves???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing head - Valves???

I recently overheated my 1989 Hilux. The head in the 2 LT engine was cracked. I ordered a new head which comes without valves. I've talked to a few mechanics and they advise I can't simply stick my old valves into the new head. Does anyone have advice/experience with this?

Originally posted by strummer
    I recently overheated my 1989 Hilux. The head in the 2 LT engine was cracked. I ordered a new head which comes without valves. I've talked to a few mechanics and they advise I can't simply stick my old valves into the new head. Does anyone have advice/experience with this?
    you will need to clean the old valves up then lap/grind them in to the valve seats to create a good seal, this is a fairly simple task I suggest you search the web to see how to do this, then once this is done you will need to reshim the head for correct valve clearences
    If it aint broke dont fix it

Comment

Originally posted by gary16163
      you will need to clean the old valves up then lap/grind them in to the valve seats to create a good seal, this is a fairly simple task I suggest you search the web to see how to do this, then once this is done you will need to reshim the head for correct valve clearences

and oil seals.

Comment

I always buy built heads, the extra cost vs time to check/clean/lap/set shims/etc... isn't really a saving IHMO.

But seeing as you've got to do it, clean all the carbon off the valves, check they are straight, check they fit the guides OK, then you can fit new guide seals, fit all the valve springs and cam, then set the valve lash.

If you need all the specs, I can get them later.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Its easy, no worries, a bit paste and a plunger and your set, you should get all new seals in a head gasket kit
          What comes around goes around!!

Comment

i got my old valves seated into my new head, new seals etc, it cost me 40 quid. bargain.
            665 the neighbour of the beast

Comment

Working...
            X