Scratching noise coming from steering wheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scratching noise coming from steering wheel

Just wondered if anyone else has come across this, I keep getting a scratching noise coming from the steering wheel, the noise being made when it's being turned.

It's a cheapo nasty replacement steering wheel, but it seems to be fitted on OK, I've had the wheel off and refitted it and all seems well for a couple of weeks but then eventually it starts making the scratching noise again. I just wonder whether I'm getting the bits underneath round the wrong way........

Off out to whip it off again......................
    Last edited by Tonka; 4 October 2006, 10:43.

Originally posted by Tonka
    Just wondered if anyone else has come across this, I keep getting a scratching noise coming from the steering wheel, the noise being made when it's being turned.

It's a cheapo nasty replacement steering wheel, but it seems to be fitted on OK, I've had the wheel off and refitted it and all seems well for a couple of weeks but then eventually it starts making the scratching noise again. I just wonder whether I'm getting the bits underneath round the wrong way........

Off out to whip it off again......................
    i keep getting that since i changed the steering wheel but i put it down to doing it up too tight but i havent slackened it off yet to see if it cures the prob
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Its normally the horn contact rubbing on its metal ring, needs a spot of grease to stop the noise.
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Its normally the horn contact rubbing on its metal ring, needs a spot of grease to stop the noise.
        Thanks Tony, that makes sense, there seems to be quite a lot of brass dust as well so that might indicate there is too much pressure somehow being applied and it's also wearing the contact down.......
        Presumably whatever grease I use will still have to permit the electric contact to work, so what grease should I use?
        Thanks again

Comment

I had this on mine. I just plopped a couple of drops of oil (clean engine oil) onto the plastic extension part that joins onto the cowling
          What comes around goes around!!

Comment

spray cans of silicone, grease or copper slip should dothe trick and if you have the little tube that comes with them you should be able to do it without removing the s/wheel
            Surf.gone but not forgottendisco now gone aswell

Comment

Dont suppose you have the old wheel? I'm after one
              What comes around goes around!!

Comment

Originally posted by Gazbo
                Dont suppose you have the old wheel? I'm after one
                I have a standard wheel going spare. PM me...
                It just does, OK?

Comment

Originally posted by dave.j.robbo
                  I have a standard wheel going spare. PM me...
                  yeah, me too. it's OLD though.

Comment

Working...
                  X