yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Solid front axle or independant front suspension?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solid front axle or independant front suspension?

Hi all.

Thanks to the top notch advice on this forum I have been able to service my machine - air, fuel,oil, coolant - and cut down on smoke with the egr mod. My newbie confidence is growing

Two things I now need to do - Check the diff oil and change the brake pads.

Does my 2nd gen have a solid front axle or independant front suspension (Haynes manual point)?

Are the brakes asbestos free or do I need a mask?

Advice on these two points would be reatly appreciated.

By the way, I spent a couple of hours looking through two major threads about customs and excise duty on veg oil. KeithP was in a dialogue with the faceless bureaucrats but the thread ended a couple of months ago it seems, without any conclusion as to whether the taxmen admitted they were talking B******s about what constituted biodiesel etc. Anyone know anything about that?
    Vic

Originally posted by Vic1958
    Hi all.

Thanks to the top notch advice on this forum I have been able to service my machine - air, fuel,oil, coolant - and cut down on smoke with the egr mod. My newbie confidence is growing

Two things I now need to do - Check the diff oil and change the brake pads.

Does my 2nd gen have a solid front axle or independant front suspension (Haynes manual point)?

Are the brakes asbestos free or do I need a mask?

Advice on these two points would be reatly appreciated.

By the way, I spent a couple of hours looking through two major threads about customs and excise duty on veg oil. KeithP was in a dialogue with the faceless bureaucrats but the thread ended a couple of months ago it seems, without any conclusion as to whether the taxmen admitted they were talking B******s about what constituted biodiesel etc. Anyone know anything about that?
    Your front suspension is ifs
    All brake pads now should be asbestos free, but it never hurts to be protected from any sort of dust.
    I'm a custard donut monster

Comment

Thanks for the info Jotto. A mask and goggles for me.
      Vic

Comment

Originally posted by Vic1958
        Thanks for the info Jotto. A mask and goggles for me.
        Don't bother checking the diff oil levels - just drop it and put in some fresh. Easy enough job to do. The drain plugs will be quite tight to undo as they seat onto a flat face in the diff housing. Once cracked, they come out easy.

If you can get to them, take off the breathers (on top of the diff housings) and give them a clean.

You'll know it's sorted for years to come.

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=62

Only costs about £10 for 5 litres from local motor factors.
        Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Thanks Lovely - I'll give 'em some fresh and clean them breathers.
          Vic

Comment

Working...
          X