overheating 2.4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• overheating 2.4

hi sorry about this guys but have over heating problems with my 2.4 1993 surf
    i did around 1000 miles in 2 weeks without a fault returned home and at low speeds temp gauge go into the red and steam coming from around the expantion tank area the tank seems to be full to the top with very dark liquid can anybody help as i'm very new to surfs?

Originally posted by jbnufc
    hi sorry about this guys but have over heating problems with my 2.4 1993 surf
    i did around 1000 miles in 2 weeks without a fault returned home and at low speeds temp gauge go into the red and steam coming from around the expantion tank area the tank seems to be full to the top with very dark liquid can anybody help as i'm very new to surfs?
    Hi JB i would flush out all the coolant 1st and then get a new rad cap and thermostat and then re-fill the coolant with heaters on full power and set to hot and then fill up coolant until you got all the air out and then go from there and see how it goes
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Dark and what colour?

Flush the coolant, replace it with new. New thermostat, new rad cap. Make sure you get all the air out when you top it up.

And welcome.

Comment

Check your radiator for leaks, it seems someone has poured rad weld into the cooling system .

Comment

Hi thanks for advice guys can anybody tell me the best place to find a new rad cap and thermo please. Cheers John.

Comment

Any motor spares shop, just ask for a thermostat and radiator cap for a Toyota Hilux 2.4 diesel.

Comment

Thanks Vince I read your tip on topping up the coolant to get rid of air leaks did you not run the engine when topping up the coolant?

Comment

Originally posted by jbnufc
                Thanks Vince I read your tip on topping up the coolant to get rid of air leaks did you not run the engine when topping up the coolant?

Yeah, I ran the engine as normal when topping up, but switched off and left the cap off. When I returned to check about one and a half hours later, I noticed the coolant was not visible in the thermostat housing. So I topped it up again, it only took a tiny amount, and left it again for two hours and it took a bit more. On the third time I checked, (the next morning,) the level was still at the top so every bit of air must have been expelled from the cooling system. Replaced cap and all is well.

Comment

Thanks I'm now waiting on parts to service the cooling system aswell as the engine but i have noticed what looks like oil in the old coolant does this sound really bad news???

Comment

Thanks guys got all parts and flushed the coolant system turns out there's two leaks in the radiator got them fixed, new parts fitted ie rad cap, thermo and new coolant after flushing out the old not that there was much left hehe and no more problems to date .

thanks again for all your help.

John.

Comment

Working...
                    X