info needed front drive shaft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• info needed front drive shaft

6 months ago I had a front passenger drive shaft fitted, not new but a good one. I have had a rattle from that side, like a lose peace of metal. I have got under the truck and the shaft can me moved up and down in the bearing. The shaft I got was from a 91 surf 2.4 and mine is a 93 surf 2.4. What I need to know is their two different sizes of shaft or has the inner bearing gone.

If the inner bearing have gone, how hard is it too refit them and has anyone on here done them. Do I need any special tools of a press to push bearings in or out.

Milner sell them for £26 for outer inner and £9.50 for the outer.

Any help would be good thanks
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

WHICH END ?
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

Sorry in to the wheel hub

Comment

Whats with these BRASS Bushes ive heard about?
        I think you should see LEE for the front hubs
        (\__/)
        (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
        (")_(")

Comment

I need to know if its the shaft thats the wrong size. The one at lees is a 3ltr so that may not fit anyway

Comment

The bushes all have the same part number, so the shafts are the same.

The bushes punch out easy with a long drift, getting the new ones in square is tricker as you don't have much room to swing the hammer. I mount the new one on a old CV joint and drive it in, but you could make a puller with some studding and a couple of nuts and big washers.

Change them both while you at it, but its normally only the inner bush that wears, the outer end of the CV joint is supported by the drive plates/Manual hubs and the outer bush only controls in-out movement against the outer circlip.
            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
              The bushes all have the same part number, so the shafts are the same.

The bushes punch out easy with a long drift, getting the new ones in square is tricker as you don't have much room to swing the hammer. I mount the new one on a old CV joint and drive it in, but you could make a puller with some studding and a couple of nuts and big washers.

Change them both while you at it, but its normally only the inner bush that wears, the outer end of the CV joint is supported by the drive plates/Manual hubs and the outer bush only controls in-out movement against the outer circlip.

Thanks Tony, I will have a go at it now I know a little more about it. Think i will make a puller too.

Comment

Working...
              X