It will only start with 'Easy Start'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It will only start with 'Easy Start'

I have just had new glow plugs fitted and have replaced the fuel filter. I also flushed the radiator through.

What I have found is that she will only start with a quick dose of Easy Start. Obviously I don't want to use the stuff.

Can anyone suggest what the problem is? What is Easy Start providing that the system is not?

Thanks - Vic
    Vic

The easy start is providing an initial "bang". It sounds like the glow plugs aren't working properly. Did you get all the insulators back in the right place when the plugs were changed?
    Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

Checked the 80 amp fuse?????
      www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

Glow Plugs and Main fuse fitted by Toyota.

I'm assuming that Toyota did the job correctly when they fitted the plugs and main fuse Gamedawn, although that assumption could be wrong of course. The 80amp fuse is okay Woodzie?
        Last edited by Vic1958; 3 September 2006, 18:10.
        Vic

Comment

Originally posted by Vic1958
          I have just had new glow plugs fitted and have replaced the fuel filter. I also flushed the radiator through.

What I have found is that she will only start with a quick dose of Easy Start. Obviously I don't want to use the stuff.

Can anyone suggest what the problem is? What is Easy Start providing that the system is not?

Thanks - Vic

It's possible you have air in the fuel from changing the fuel filter. It should work it's way through after a couple of journeys.
          Did you prime the fuel pump by pressing the plunger on top of the fuel filter housing a few times?

Comment

Yes I primed the filter with the plunger until it gave some resistance. If it's only temporary air in the fuel that will be great.
            I might have to use easy start again in the morning. I've heard the engine can become addicted to the stuff - but does it do any actual damage Vince?
            Vic

Comment

EASY START is like DRUGS to a diesel engine (past experiences) It will get addicted & wont start unless it gets its FIX.
              (\__/)
              (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
              (")_(")

Comment

That's what I feared. Thanks for confirmation Marky. Hopefully Bushwhacker's right about air in the fuel, and I can ditch the easy start before she becomes dependant!!
                Vic

Comment

Originally posted by marky
                  EASY START is like DRUGS to a diesel engine (past experiences) It will get addicted & wont start unless it gets its FIX.
                  i've never understood that!... it's a machine!
                  but i've heard it loads... just can't see how it happens?
                  nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Make sure ALL the joints and connections in the fuel system are tight and not drawing air from the filter - pump - injectors. Make sure the fuel filter seal is OK too.

These may not leak dzl but draw air and can be hard to find, if in doubt bin the fuel filter and get a new one! Check the new glow plugs are tight and sealed and make sure they are working IE drawing lecki when asked via a multi meter = no lecki = no heat!

Then it could get more costly, IF the heater plugs are sealed AND all working and the system aint pulling air check the compression in the cylinders and get the injectors tested /serviced while they are out.

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
                      i've never understood that!... it's a machine!
                      but i've heard it loads... just can't see how it happens?

Summit to do with octane Slug man, easy start is HIGH, ignites way too soon therefor buggers up the ignition timing, this high octane poo also strips any oil from the piston and cylinders therefor removes any friction protection..... squirt = remove lube = high temp burn too soon = junkie engine with no way back

Comment

Balls!!!! You have a problem, all this high tech tech stuff dont stand. It is a mechanical object. Unless you have been using easy start for months on end then it will not become addicted to it. The last explanation is correct, but not off what you decribe. You seem to have one of those silly problems that gets overlooked. It will be stairing you in the face. A couple of pumps on the fuel filter does not get rid of the air. You need to release the bleed screw until all the air has gone out of the filter and once it runs keep pumping it till it runs sweet
                        What comes around goes around!!

Comment

Nowt high tech...Spray dzl vapour into a compressed space and orf we go.

This is a fuel problem with air ingress somewhere probably at the fuel filter seals feck all to do with priming 'cos twin battery yota's are almost self priming.

Obviousy the Surf wasnt starting before we changed the glow plugs and it's still not starting so when did it go grazing?

Comment

This is funny!!

Engines don't get addicted to Easy Start, you have a problem and it won't start normally, so therefore it will only start with some help, ie, mega explosive additive to get the thing fired up and running. unless you fix the problem, it will only start with its 'fix' of easy start.

Excessive use of Easy Start will prematurely wear out the motor as its such a big kick when it goes off, then it WILL only start on Easy Start, but if you have a motor that needs easy start to get going it has a problem already (usually compression) that it needs rebuilding you might as well use it.

This posts problem seems like a fuel primer issue, if the thing was working properly when it went in to the garage.
                            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Forget anti-abuse and methadone, once it's got the habit of easy start it's doomed!

Watch for the usual signs IE money / TV / microwave going missing!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X