Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd Overheating

Hi all

My Surf, owned by my since March, has been fine - new head fitted by the Engine co in Stockport in Jan this year, i went to Avon Dassett on Monday and coated the whole car in mud, jet washed the engine bay and rad on the way home, drive it all week with no probs BUT - I thought I could smell coolant in the cabin sometimes.

I drove to Stafford yesterday, and on the M40 (I live 6 miles south of Banbury) between Gaydon exit and the services going North I noticed the temp gauge needle rising. I pulled over, turned heaters up but had to push the lever quite hard as it stuck about 3/4 way along, then there was a 'thud' as it finally went all the way to the right. The needle returned to the middle. I pulled in to the services, checked oil and water, all fine - so, carried on all the to Stafford, had the heater on full for about 20 miles, then turned it down. Nice cold air, no more overheating at all.
    On the way home, after about 30 miles, it did it again, then 2 mins on hot fans, went back to normal - then once more, near Warwick services again, a few mins on hot fans, all OK.
    The only thing I could see out of place was more oil than usual on the breather pipe connecting between head and air pipe....nothing major, just wasn't there earlier in the day.

Too old to care, young enough to remember

if you jet washed the rad, you may have bent some of the fins over.... just a thought!
    it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

I would check your rad fins for mud blockages may be stopping the air from cooling the coolant down enough..
      CHEERS JOHN................

Comment

Hi guys and thanks!!

i just took the fan cover off and the whole of the back of the rad is still brown - any tips of a good way to clean it? I haven't got a jetwash or steam cleaner here...thanks again

Comment

to do a good job it would be best to take it off and use an hose pipe to wash down with and you can check the fins for truness while you there and then spend half a day bending them all back with a pair of pliers

there thats you sorted for today and most of tomorrow!!!
          CHEERS JOHN................

Comment

if you want to do it properly.. get a bit of 15mm copper pipe, a 90 degree elbow, and a blanking end, solder it all up together and drill a small hole or 2 in the end of the blank (on the short end) and the jubilee clip a hose pipe on the longer end. you now have the ideal tool to clean a rad!
            it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Hi - I improvised and used one of those garden spray things (the pump spray thing you use for weeds..) and filled it up about 8 times and this has worked really well.

Took it out for a road test, started with heater on stun, then set it cold, lovely cold air through the vents and the needle wavered a little, but it seems fine now...back to laning asap now I have a plan for mud removal...

Comment

Working...
              X