Nut on front pully-tips please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nut on front pully-tips please

I`m in the middle of trying to do my fuel pump(2.4td) and i`m stuck with the bolt that holds the bottom pulley onto the crank, it`s done up really tight
    Any tips or pointers?
    Ta Ray

If you undo the 4 bolts that hold the front part of the pulley onto the back bit then you'll find that you can wedge a pry bar into the lugs on the pulley to give you some leverage.
    Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

i`ve got a bit of 4inch wide steel that i have cut a big hole in and smaller ones for the mounting bolts but it it still as tight as hell,also is it left or right hand thread? my workshop man` is in storage as we have just moved.
      cheers Ray

Comment

Originally posted by ssray
        Any tips or pointers?
        Ta Ray
        Hello,

WD40

Try and heat it up a little - plumbers blow torch - be careful

Try to do it up even tighter then try to loosen it - you'll be surprised how oftern this gets the movement you need.

regards
        Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Originally posted by The Lovely Boyo

Try and heat it up a little - plumbers blow torch - be careful
          Very carefully, it has a rubber section holding the rim to the hub!!!

It normaly takes a breaker bar, locking the lugs like Roger said, they are done up to 125ft/lb but are often tighter.

Its a normal thread, and taking the front pair of pulley of makes it easier.
          4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

if you mean the big centre nut on the crankshaft end i put a big adjustable on it and let it rest on the pump bracket then turned the engine over and it came straight off.
            665 the neighbour of the beast

Comment

I found that if you remove the bracket that supports the aircon pump, you can bolt this on the front of the pulley (with the oter part of the pulley removed) and this will jam against the chassis rail and hold the pulley while you undo the bolt.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
                Very carefully, it has a rubber section holding the rim to the hub!
                OOPS

Didn't know about the rubber

Me donkey
                Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Originally posted by lucky
                  I found that if you remove the bracket that supports the aircon pump, you can bolt this on the front of the pulley (with the oter part of the pulley removed) and this will jam against the chassis rail and hold the pulley while you undo the bolt.
                  I stopped doing this after I snapped it in half on a tight one and had to buy a new bracket!!

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
                  X