Overheating question!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overheating question!

I have a strangish problem with my engine overheating!

My '91 2.4TD ssrx is normally ok, however on long hauls, normally 100 miles and over the engine begins to overheat (Only when my car comes to a standstill) for some reason, it doesnt overheat (or atleast i havnt come across the temp gauge going up whilst i am still driving).... when i open the hood to have a look at whats going on i notice the coolant bottle has overflowed and their is quite a bit of water on the ground under the front of the car (this comes out of the overflow pipe)... (obviously this also means the coolant bottle is full of very hot water even though i only ever fill it half up)... after waiting a while i open the radiator valve and the water level is very low, i usually need to replace about 2-3 litres of water into the radiator to top it up. and then things are fine - until the same thing happens after about another 100 miles....
    i cant see no leaks from the rad...

so anyone have any pointers on this?... is this something normal with the older surfs?...

many thanks
    moe

You need a new thermostat and radiator cap.
    Make sure you get all the air out of the cooling system when you top it up.
    That means setting both heater controls (if you have the rear one fitted) to hot and have the engine running, pour water into the thermostsat housing (the part where the rad cap is) until it won't take any more water, then let engine cool right down, overnight is best, then check coolant level again.

Also, make sure the engine fan is working correctly. It should be difficult to spin when the engine is hot, and spin easily when engine cold. If you can turn it with no effort when the engine is hot, then the fan's silicone fluid needs replenishing.
    Last edited by BUSHWHACKER; 28 August 2006, 00:38.

Comment

Working...
    X