Help - Anybody - Pleeeeze!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help - Anybody - Pleeeeze!

This fault is driving me nuts! I thought I had solved it but it has returned.

To recap - I drive for about 40 mins and when I drop below 2000 revs I hear 'diesel clatter' and the red light comes on. Code 12 - Timing Control (Pump).
    I had the day off work yesterday to try to nail this problem. Drove it round for nearly 2 hours and the fault didn't occur. The truck drove very quietly and had bags of power. It was throwing it down with rain so I left it until the rain stopped, went out when the sun had come back out, the engine was still warm and the sun had added to the under bonnet temperature. Started up and within a few minutes the 'clatter' started and the check light came on.
    If I switch off for a few minutes and then restart the engine runs normally for a while.
    It is probably a sensor but these things are so expensive I don't want to end up buying the wrong one and still have the problem.
    Why does the pump need an electronic timing control and under what conditions does it activate?
    Would a duff Water Temp Sensor send the wrong info to the ECU which then calls for adjustment to the Timing Control?
    I only ask that as it does seem temperature related.
    Sorry this is a long post but I am really, really flummoxed, fed up, brassed off...........
    Bob

Too Old To Be Unruly!

'93 SSR X

Temp is probably causing a broken wire in the sensor to seperate as it expands. Its either in the loom, plug or timer controller itself.

As for the other question, the pump timer alters the injector fuel pulse timing as the engine requires, like the advance/retard of the dizzy in a petrol car.

Also check the pump isn't loose and that the timing marks line up. (on the flange of the pump where it bolts to the motor)
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Hi Tony
      Thanks for that. If I replace the Timing Controller does it come with the sensor as an integral part or do I have to replace that as a separate item?

Bob
      Bob

Too Old To Be Unruly!

'93 SSR X

Comment

I repaired a car the other day with simular problem, turns out to be a diesel pressure switch on the way out. It is on an hdi which is a simular set up to the efi surf if my memory stands me correct?
        What comes around goes around!!

Comment

Timing Control Valve now replaced (expensive £220!) and problem solved, big cheesy grin back in place
          Bob

Too Old To Be Unruly!

'93 SSR X

Comment

Working...
          X