2LT over heat cure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2LT over heat cure

If you have tried everything and still experience overheating, try the following:Move the water filler cap from the engine to the radiator on the opposite side where the coolant hose enters the radiator.
    I have a 1991 2.4 and after many trials I realised that with a slight overheat, water instead of steam is pushed out of the cap when the cap is on is the engine. I have done this about two years ago after many overheats and up to now I had no overheats.

The filler neck needs to be at the highest point in the cooling system. The rad
    is too low.

Comment

Thats true, but when the water starts to flow, gasses will pass the filler cap when on the engine and accumulate in the radiator top. If at this time the cap releasing pressure, water will exit. When the cap is where the gasses accumulate during running, gasses will exit and not fluid.

Comment

It shouldn't lose water if your expansion system and rad cap are okay. If it's
        letting water escape from the rad cap, the rad cap needs replacing. Otherwise,
        both water and air should exit to the expansion tank, and the water should be
        sucked back in when the engine cools.

Comment

Again, I agree. It shouldn't. BUT it does. Remember, the cap is not on top of the water flow. It is on the side, on a TEE.

Comment

The only gasses that should be in the water will be passing in the water through
            the cooling system until they reach a point where they can escape upwards. Air
            will rise to the highest point, as will steam. The water will, when the thermostat
            opens, flow past the rad cap, so any air/steam will rise towards the rad cap. If
            you put the filler cap on the radiator, you will end up with airlocks in the cooling
            system unless you have some other bleeding point for air, due to the fact that
            the exit point is below the highest point of the system. Believe me, if your engine
            has been blowing water out, you do have more of a problem than the location
            of the rad cap and filling point. Your engine is either creating excessive pressure
            within the cooling system, or your rad cap or the thermostat housing are
            knackered.

Comment

expansion bottle

I have just noticed that my expansion bottle is full and coming out of the overflow pipe. Can anyone advise me of the pproblem. (hopefully). oh iforgot to mention radiator leak last week and put radweld in. Do you think this has anything to do with it. cheers

Comment

Originally posted by gaffer39
                I have just noticed that my expansion bottle is full and coming out of the overflow pipe. Can anyone advise me of the pproblem. (hopefully). oh iforgot to mention radiator leak last week and put radweld in. Do you think this has anything to do with it. cheers
                try to get the rad repaired properly or get a new 1 also get a new rad cap and themostat then make sure you get all the air locks out properly and see how you go from there
                https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

You probably need a new thermostat as the coolant is getting past too early.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                    You probably need a new thermostat as the coolant is getting past too early.
                    ha ha beat ya to it
                    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

I was 'avin' a wee!

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                        I was 'avin' a wee!
                        Excuses, excuses.

Comment

Working...
                        X