Rear wheel fell off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear wheel fell off

I have had my 1993 Surf for 3 days, Whilst on my way home from Scarborough my offside rear wheel overtook me, It is a split rim type and sits on spacers between hub and rim, all the studs sheared, any body any idea why, is it a common problem?
    Attached Files

Originally posted by iwoo
    is it a common problem?
    Only if a d1ckhead puts the wheels on.

Thos edon't look like standard surf alloys so my guess would be whoever sold it to you stuck 'em on to make it more sellable and didn't do it properly.

Phone them up and give them hell.

Comment

The spacers are $$$$, you need the proper ones that bolt on and are made of steel.

Comment

Originally posted by andy
        The spacers are $$$$, you need the proper ones that bolt on and are made of steel.
        Yep, that type can put far too much load on the original studs
        Maurice
        Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Read this thread which will explain more.

http://www.yotasurf-online.co.uk/pub...=wheel+spacers

Comment

I have spoken to the previous owner, he reckons the wheels were on it when it was imported, he had new tyres put on last year.

Comment

Originally posted by andy
              I agree, replace em pronto for the proper steel machined ones or just plain remove em.

The person who fitted em may have overtightened too - the torque settings are 103N-m (10.5kgf-m, 76 ft-lb)

Trev
              Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Any other damage to your truck, apart from the stain on the drivers seat?

Comment

No obvious damage, the brake drum hit the deck and i managed to steer it round a corner to get out of the traffic (Bottom of Sutton bank)
                  Attached Files

Comment

Phew! that's nothing too serious then.
                    You can order new wheel studs from here.....
                    http://www.milneroffroad.com/LN130.htm

Comment

wheel studs

Just out of interest, how much of the threaded stud was left in the hole (if you have managed to remove them yet). As a rule of thumb there should be 1.5 times the diameter of the stud inserted into the threaded hole. Anything longer just sticks out the back and does not add any strength, but if it is less you are putting excess stress on the stud.

I am a bit concerned because that spacers look very similar to the ones I have fitted. Where is the best place to buy the steel ones mentioned in previous threads?

Just be thankfull you were not tearing down a street at 70mph>>>>>
                      makes you think
                      Last edited by chasharman; 2 August 2006, 18:25.

Comment

if it was just imported, does that mean you got it from a dealer? if so get them to sort it for you.
                        i swear, it was like that when i got here...

Comment

It was imported in 2004, The garage where I bought it from are sorting it out, but i suppose they will only replace what is broken.

That still begs the question about what I should do long term, replace alloy spacers? as someone has suggested with steel ones, where do you get the steel spacers from, should i go for longer wheel studs or the double fitment type already fitted.

Comment

These are the wheel spacers you should go for, IF you decide you need wheel spacers at all!!

They ain't cheap, but they're not gonna let the wheel fall off, either!
                            It just does, OK?

Comment

The wheels i have fitted fitted look identical to the ones on Andys surf in the owners pics so i suppose they must have been a common fitment, as its been chucking down for 2 days I have not been able to get outside and take the thing to bits, anyway i am hoping the garage will do that.

Comment

Working...
                              X