Not an ideal "IDLE" situation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not an ideal "IDLE" situation

Recently we took our Surf down to the sand dunes with some friends for a weekend gathering, we we're stuck in the sand at times and revved the engine into redline. Now during the daily drive I have noticed that the Surf's tacho is displaying an IDLE speed of about 900rpm, whereas before the trip to the dunes it would IDLE at about 675rpm (IDLE UP has been turned off). Has anyone else landed in the same situation? I am gladly open to advice.

Thanks
    DRF-BRO
    1994 Toyota Hilux Surf 3L SSR-X Limited (Manual)

Originally posted by drf-bro
    Recently we took our Surf down to the sand dunes with some friends for a weekend gathering, we we're stuck in the sand at times and revved the engine into redline. Now during the daily drive I have noticed that the Surf's tacho is displaying an IDLE speed of about 900rpm, whereas before the trip to the dunes it would IDLE at about 675rpm (IDLE UP has been turned off). Has anyone else landed in the same situation? I am gladly open to advice.

Thanks
    DRF-BRO
    bit wierd, cant see the problem being related
    [font=Times New Roman][size=3]
    [size=5][/size]
    [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3][b][i][color=blue]I[/color][color=royalblue]a[/color][color=deepskyblue]n[/color] [color=blue]トヨタの[/color][color=royalblue]波92 のssr[/color][color=deepskyblue][color=royalblue]-g[/color] 擁護者[/color][/i][/b][/size][/font]

Comment

sand

sorry to butt in...
      ive always been paranoid about taking mine into sand territory due to horror stories I have heard about sand getting in everywhere and causing havock....
      Anyone got any comments on this?
      Will it do much harm?
      2 Tone Mud Master!
      http://www.sunsetsurf.co.uk

Comment

*Carbonman

No need to fear, the Surf is able to tackle sand. We got bogged in very fine and soft sand and also my wheels were at 21psi at the time since my tyre gauge was faulty. When we got past the soft sand and onto the beach my mate looked at my wheels and he checked them again with his gauge, afterwards we let the tyres down to 12 psi which solved the problem (for the tyres anyway).

Comment

Mine idles higher with the air con on!
          www.europa88.co.uk Loadsa mods!

Comment

The only thing I can think of is that by revving it so much you cleared out something (dirty injectors etc) and it's now running better.

Mine Idles at about 750 but I would say that unless you have any other problems with it and it runs smooth and you got good oil pressure, no weird noises and it don't get hot then I wouldn't worry about it.

The only thing tha might have caused it is getting some sand stuck under the throttle stop. or cuaght in the throttle cable. You might want to get under the bonnet and see if you can push the throttle quadrant back onto it's stop. If you can then somethings sticky and a good shot of WD40 may clear it (followed by some spray grease when the WD40 dries).

Also check to see that the air intake is clear and not full of sand however I think that if that was blocked then you are likely to have more problems than just a high idle speed.

Cheers

Comment

*Thanks lucky appreciate the advice will delve into it this weekend.

**europa88, how high does your Surf IDLE with air con?
              Before this drama my Surf IDLE'd at 550 rpm, and 750rpm with air con.

Comment

Just over 1000rpm with air about 800/850 without!

Comment

Just had a thought I cant remember wether engine was at full operating temp when i noticed these readings, that would probably make a difference!

Comment

Arrgghhh...

I have a 1992 3.0L V6 4Runner. I recently replaced the battery because the Surf always stalled when idling at the traffic lights. Originally i thought that the battery was going out so i replaced it with a new one. After ten mintues of freeway driving (around 110km/h), i stopped at my first set of traffic lights. THe Surf starts to stutter, and you could actually feel the car vibrate. The brakes translated this vibration as well and the car would eventually stall. All the engine lights would come on and i would have to restart the car again. I have noticed that before any of this happens, the idle gets really low, around the 500rpm mark you start feeling the car vibrate. Around 450rpm the thing stalls. I have adjusted the idle but the problem is that normal is suppose to be 700rpm. I get a 700rpm idle when the car is at normal operating temperatures, but after some driving at moderate speeds, the thing stalls. Any advice? Am i stuffed?

Comment

Originally posted by GTR
                      Arrgghhh...

I have a 1992 3.0L V6 4Runner. I recently replaced the battery because the Surf always stalled when idling at the traffic lights. Originally i thought that the battery was going out so i replaced it with a new one. After ten mintues of freeway driving (around 110km/h), i stopped at my first set of traffic lights. THe Surf starts to stutter, and you could actually feel the car vibrate. The brakes translated this vibration as well and the car would eventually stall. All the engine lights would come on and i would have to restart the car again. I have noticed that before any of this happens, the idle gets really low, around the 500rpm mark you start feeling the car vibrate. Around 450rpm the thing stalls. I have adjusted the idle but the problem is that normal is suppose to be 700rpm. I get a 700rpm idle when the car is at normal operating temperatures, but after some driving at moderate speeds, the thing stalls. Any advice? Am i stuffed?
                      Had this similar problem on a cavalier. Turned out to be the advance and retard, it was supposed to drop the revs slowly as you took your foot of the gas, which it did. It then slowly let the revs drop away until the car stalled, replaced unit never did it again.
                      Just a thought???
                      Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                      My choice
                      Back off

Comment

Well, after leaving for yet 2 weeks, my Surf has had mixed "reactions", at times it would IDLE at 1000rpm and sometimes it would IDLE normally at 650rpm. I decided to leave it a little longer, on the third week, i got out the high pressure water hose and gave the engine bay and 'muddy' underbody a good wash, now everything is back to normal.

Thanks for everyone's inputs and stories.

DRF-BRO

Comment

Working...
                        X