Butterfly.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Butterfly.

OK, I'm probably going to get some stick over this one, but what is the purpose of the main throttle butterfly on a 2lte? Is it just to provide better engine braking or is there a better reason? I've been a diesel fitter for way too many years now, and have only seen them on a couple of motors. Any light that can be shed would be gratefully received.
    You can take my 4x4 from me when you prize the keys from my cold, dead hand.

Smoother engine shutdown and possibly for emissions control in conjunction with the EGR as far as I know. Exactly how it all works and why I don't know.

Nev

Comment

This might help

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=24226

I don't have a clue WTF any of it means, but it sounds like all that stuff's pretty pointless.

Comment

Edited from one of my other posts.

The butterfly shuts when you take your foot off the go pedal.
        Its primary functions are:
        1.Create a vacum to operate the EGR , not needed if egr is killed.
        2.Smooth the idle , its a diesel !! who gives a F... about smooth idle
        3. Stop the rough shake on shut-down , see above
        4. Create a nice big back pressure to stall the turbo and induce "turbo lag"
        5. Generaly make a nuisance of itself and F-up what little performance these motors have.

My little butterfly "died" ages ago and I love it. No need for a BOV now, the turbo stays on boost through gear changes if you are quick enough.

A thoroughly reccomended proceedure that should go hand in hand with "killing" the egr.
        Simon.O.
        '90 SSR Ltd 2.4TD 5 spd

Comment

Working...
        X