No announcement yet.

smokey smoke, still smoking blah blah

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At that age i would say, knackered injectors?
    What comes around goes around!!

Comment

found this; ATF, years back, IIRC, was basically whale oil. Remember reading in school about the eskimo's using seal fat for lamp oil/candles? Same difference. (plus at the same time frame ATF was considered a skin-ailment cure-all)

Nowdays, ATF is NOT anything like it's older cousins. However, facts are facts, ATF is a high-detergent, low-viscosity lubricant. Whenever we get a vehicle in the shop that was neglected, crusty carbon buildup in the valve cover, thick nasty oil, etc., we'll drain the oil, leaving the filter, and refill to full with merc/dex atf. We crank it up, let it reach operating temp (ON JACKSTANDS, NOT DRIVING) and then drain it out and do a full oil change, with good quality oil (usu. castrol 20w-50, but that's in the warm south). It does what we want, gives everything a decent cleaning, helps re-animate some of the super-thick oil deposits, even helps break up the carbon, so that the new filter can do it's job. Due to it's low viscosity, I recommend that NOONE put it in their engine and drive around like that.

For fuel systems, again repeating myself, it's a low viscosity high-detergent lubricant. On older gasser vehicles, a quart or two added to a full fill-up at the pump would help quiet the noisy electro-fuel pumps, give the tank a bit of a cleaning, lube up the carb's internals, help de-funk the valves, etc. The same can be done on gassers by using two-stroke oil (outboard oil). I've done as high as 40:1 ratio w/o any smoke.

For diesels, It basically has the same effect. I think someone has already stated, that a diesel could run off of just strait ATF, that's true. Cost keeps me from doing that, and depending where you are in the world, the color isn't a good thing either. Got hit one night crossing the LA/TX line by Texas DOT, and they swabbed my rabbit (which I didn't think they could do, because my vehicle wasn't a commercial rig with a DOT registration) and I had about two gallons of recycled atf in the tank, so the swab came up red, and they accused me of tax-evasion, using off-road (agricultural/marine) diesel. Needless to say, they didn't even write me a ticket, just hassled me real heavy, plus I had another couple of gallon jugs of old atf in the trunk.

As a every-tank fill-up additive, I think it's a waste of money. But every couple of tanks, sure, throw a quart or two in before you fill it up with fuel. It mixes very well with both diesel and gasoline, and even at over two gallons mixed with a full tank of diesel, I've never produced exhaust smoke. However, when poured directly down the carburator of a running v8, it will mosquito-fog and entire county!!
      hope it helps

Comment

Cheers for that info Ray. We'll have to wait and see who's the first
        to fold, now. Very indepth.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
          Hey Logey, when you say your 1st gen smokes, do you mean like this one does?
          http://videos.streetfire.net/video/1...1129db5091.htm
          Wish it could! mind you when i was thrashing it for medicinal purposes i did get the wheels spinning for about a second and a half! it seems to have loads of grunt with this new turbo, just got to get rid of the Marlboro effect and i'll be happy!
          i swear, it was like that when i got here...

Comment

I've just had a new fuel filter fitted and it was primed with Forte Diesel treatment - and I now have white smoke coming out under acceleration - hot or cold - I assume this is down to the Forte stuff cleaning gunge out? Oil was changed, as was oil filter at the same time (by Steve & Ian at 4x4RUS in Warwick)...hopefully, this smoke is just temporary as the injectors etc are cleaned out - any ideas?
            Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

You're right, plus there maybe a little air in the fuel aswell after removing the filter. It should clear itself after a couple of trips to the shops.

Comment

How do you know that's what SWMBO makes me do on a Sunday???
                Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

my 2.4 had a similar problem with the smoke screen and i tried all the addatives ect and soon as i had injectors overhauled BINGO No smoke
                  Enjoying Life after Cancer
                  Pops

Comment

well new cambelt on now (think previous owner definately telling truth about it being changed when new head fitted as it was in top condition! DOH! oh well, at least I know 100% now that cambelt ok) and still smokey so injectors next on list.

maybe a part of the cruddy old glow plugs crumbled into the motor when i replaced them and is causing a little trouble...keeping valve stuck slightly open or some such doodahthingywotsit or other.

oh well, onward and upward with the fun of DIY surf repair!
                    i swear, it was like that when i got here...

Comment

Working...
                    X