Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• smokey smoke, still smoking blah blah

it's still smoking like a fcuker.

tank empty (almost) and i put in 2 litres of redex for diesels plus a bottle of comma injector cleaner (which i've used before with much success) then put in 10 litres of diesel, so it was a very strong mix.

then done the driving like i had a saxo with a turbo sticker thing....i never knew the surf could do 55mph in 3rd, 82mph in 4th!!!! but anyway, same amount of black sooty smoke and after half an hour driving like a Staines Massive member i resumed normal driving and exactly the same as before. went to footy training a usual drive not nutter style which is a 20 mile round trip and the thing's exactly the same as before, so now going to rule out injectors as even if they were completely shagged i'd have surely seen a little difference.

also if a ring had gone i'm sure i'd have blown the engine completely as i really did drive it like a complete waynker.

so new cam belt and pump timing next? i don't know what to do and whatever i do next will deffo be the last straw as even though the surf is miles quicker now with the new turbo on, i can't handle messing around anymore.

so does anyone have any other suggestions before i get this done, and if i get the pump timing done is it something any competent mechanic will be able to do easily or do you need to really know a surf to do it right?

PLEASE SOLVE MY SMOKEY SURF PROBLEM BEFORE I GO MAD!!!!
    i swear, it was like that when i got here...

There are indicating marks or notches for the pump, cam. and crank. to get everything timed up. When the new belt is fitted, turn the engine over two or three revolutions by hand (using a socket on the crank pulley) and re- check all the timing marks are still lined up before fitting the belt cover back on.

Sounds like you've got plenty of power then!
    What colour smoke?

Comment

smoke is black and dark greyish mix, but mostly black, don't get tailgaters anymore! certainly has loads more grunt since it got a working turbo on it!

Comment

Has anyone seen a 20 year old diesel that doesn't smoke like mad?

If it still goes ok and the only problem is the smoke just give it a bootful of gas next time you got a nicely polished white motor tryin to hitch a lift on your towball. It's bound to make you grin.

If it's not burning oil, not leaking anything anywhere, and still performing well i wouldn't worry to much about leaving sooty marks on any $$$$ who wants to follow you that close.
        =========
        =SOLD UP!=
        =========

Comment

yeah, but it just increases the chances of getting a pull from the rozzas and i can't be doing with that at all because i look as guilty as sin all the time...even when i've done nowt!

Comment

Black smoke is unburnt fuel, but saying that, it may just be the injector cleaner burning off.
            As you're changing the timing belt you'll be able to check the pump maks anyway but it sounds as though their o.k. and you just got knackered injectors.

Comment

i know full well whatever i do next will be wrong!!!

this heap of metal's killing my bit of plastic!

Comment

I'd wait until you have cleared that diesel/cleaner mix through,
                then next time you fill up, se what she's like then. With that
                mixture in, she will smoke. See if she's as bad on a fairly clean
                fill of derv.

Comment

put another £10 worth in when got back from football as the level was back to where it was before started all this, and it still smoked the same amount. just going to check oil now it's had time to cool and settle. so if any of that gone then i'll cancel christmas!

Comment

yeaaahhhh, but ya love er, don'tcha!!!!!

guess you checked the air filter etc, unburnt fule - wrong mix???
                    If you're gonna be a bear... be a Grizzly.

Comment

deffo not air filter and unburnt fuel looks to be likely culprit since just checked oil level and hasn't dropped since the thrashing, and if there was a problem with oil burning, then i doubt much would be left after what i did to the old girl today!

i'll do the cambelt (although was told when bought it that it had been done when the modded head put on, but no proof of this) and pump timing and change other belts while at it then see what happens, probably do the injectors as well while i'm at it.....but that will be all, after that i'm buying a gun if it still smokes.

Comment

This comes from someone who refers to all things under the bonnet as 'stuff' but have you considered just taking it to someone to have a look at?

You could always wait until Tony's back and roll it up there for him to cast his expert eye over. No fun, I know, but might end up cheaper than replacing the whole engine piece by piece.

Just a thought.
                        Last edited by Sancho; 17 July 2006, 22:40.

Comment

vw reccomend filling your fuel filter with atf(mineral)i have done it on my surf,cit` bx and 1993 td vw,i warmed her up filled new filter with atf fitted filter and drove like i stole it. it will only get neat atf for a while as your ip gets about 10x the fuel it needs and the rest goes back to your tank.
                          also i recently reset my ecu which made a big diffrence to pull away,disconnect both batt`s and leave for 15 mins min.

Comment

is that automatic transmission fluid,never heard of that one, i bet it chucks out loads of smoke till it dilutes?
                            JAP4X4PART ¬ THE BIGGEST SURF BREAKER IN THE UK ¬

Comment

Hey Logey, when you say your 1st gen smokes, do you mean like this one does?
                              http://videos.streetfire.net/video/1...1129db5091.htm

Comment

Working...
                              X