Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another head thread (possibly)

I'm a little concerned.

After a short drive (10 minutes) this evening i parked up and was absolutely pouring coolant out, I had driven probably a little quicker than average but not hard by anyone's standards.

Anyway when i noticed it immediately the panic set in, oh $$$$ could this be my head?

The temperature gauge was normal, bout half way. The coolant was coming out of the overflow on the expansion tank (i think that's what it is, the plastic one behind the n/s headlight), and a small amount from the cap on the other tank (the metal one with the pressure cap on a bit further back).

Up until now i've had no problems with cooling or anything like that, it's just had a full service and MOT and been running fine since i had the other problem's sorted out (gearbox, exhaust, brakes)....................... ..

It had a new engine and Rad in June 2004 from API Engines, Harbury, Warwickshire. That was at 108,070 km it's only at 120,522 now.

Could this be my head? I assume it was the head before and that's why a previous owner had the engine & rad replaced (as mentioned above).

Is there other stuff i should check before i ring Stevo?

I will have a look in the morning and see exactly how much coolant i have lost, it was just a couple of mm below the fill line mid-week when i was doing other stuff to it, so it shouldn't have just overflowed through nowmal expansion.

I'm gonna stop typing and panicking now, but any suggestions would be good.

Right...

BREATHE SLOWLY, INHALE, EXHALE etc
    =========
    =SOLD UP!=
    =========

You need a new rad cap. Sounds like the spring is knackered and letting the coolant past into the expansion tank.

Comment

Had you just topped up the expansion tank before the drive?

If so, you might have overfilled it, and as the (normal) pressure built up as the engine warmed up, it could have forced the unnecessary water out of the expansion tank?
      It just does, OK?

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
        You need a new rad cap. Sounds like the spring is knackered and letting the coolant past into the expansion tank.
        Could be, will check tomorrow. The expansion tank was well full when i popped the bonnet. Any other ideas?

Midweek the coolant level was literally just below the fill line, haven't topped it up since I've had the surf, cheers Dave.

Any other ideas?
        =========
        =SOLD UP!=
        =========

Comment

When the coolant gets hot, it 'expands' into the expansion tank. After switching off the engine, the coolant cools down and is then 'sucked' back into the engine. The rad cap is set at a pre-set pressure to open and allow the coolant past. Yours is letting the coolant past too early. Maybe replace your thermostat as well while your at it, cost of job (rad cap and thermostat)is about £12 plus 10 mins of your time.

Comment

Gotta agree with my more learned colleagues here. When your head goes pop the temperature guage goes flying up very quickly indeed.

I don't know much, but I know what that b@stard looks like.

Change the cheap stuff first and say something nice to your engine.

Comment

Removed and refitted the old rad cap, idle for 20 minutes, quick hard run round the block (5 minutes), engine up to normal temperature.

All seems fine other than the level in the expansion tank still high.

Thinking maybe try bleeding the cooling system, incase it'd somehow got airlocked. What's the best way of doing this?
              =========
              =SOLD UP!=
              =========

Comment

Originally posted by nero279
                Removed and refitted the old rad cap, idle for 20 minutes, quick hard run round the block (5 minutes), engine up to normal temperature.

All seems fine other than the level in the expansion tank still high.

Thinking maybe try bleeding the cooling system, incase it'd somehow got airlocked. What's the best way of doing this?
                rad cap off front and rear blowers on full and set to hot and the start her up and watch to see if the level drops if so top it up till it settles
                https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Working...
                X