Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No 4X4 (front wheels) help????

I have a LN130 manual.

On the beach this weekend I pressed the 4x4 button on the hi/low stick and the 4x4 light did not come on. Just thought it was a duff bulb as I could hear the solenoid for the electric motor on the gearbox, click somewhere under the dash.

Then it got stuck in the sand as I only had drive to the rear wheels.
    The front prop was turning but not the wheels, the rear prop was turning and both back wheels were spinning in the sand.
    I can feel the motor on the back of the gear box working, and with the front prop turning so power is getting that far.

My question is, does the surf have some sort of free wheel hubs built in, nothing on the wheel to turn like the pickup?
    Had Hilux pickups before and you had to engage the free wheel hubs manually or you would only have rear wheel drive even in 4x4.
    Just wondered if anyone had any ideas.

Originally posted by Granville
    I have a LN130 manual.

On the beach this weekend I pressed the 4x4 button on the hi/low stick and the 4x4 light did not come on. Just thought it was a duff bulb as I could hear the solenoid for the electric motor on the gearbox, click somewhere under the dash.

The front prop was turning but not the wheels, the rear prop was turning and both back wheels were spinning in the sand.
    I can feel the motor on the back of the gear box working, and with the front prop turning so power is getting that far.

My question is, does the surf have some sort of free wheel hubs built in, nothing on the wheel to turn like the pickup?
    Had Hilux pickups before and you had to engage the free wheel hubs manually or you would only have rear wheel drive even in 4x4.

you might want to try moving to and fro once you engaged 4wd to get it to engage
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce1067
      you might want to try moving to and fro once you engaged 4wd to get it to engage
      Thanks stormforce, I did try that when we got it back on the hard sand but still did not work. Usualy have to move forward slow for it to engage but not today for some reason.

Comment

Thanks stormforce, I did try that when we got it back on the hard sand but still did not work. Usualy have to move forward slow for it to engage but not today for some reason.
        will it go into 4wd if you move the selector into 4wd?it may just be some dirt in the switch itself so it aint making contact properly
        https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce1067
          will it go into 4wd if you move the selector into 4wd?it may just be some dirt in the switch itself so it aint making contact properly
          think the switch is working as i can hear the motor on the gear box working, just found this http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=11379
          somthing about a vac pipe to the diff, just going to have a look for that?

Comment

I have a LN130 manual.

it operates by vacume on the front diff.

if you get on ya back and look between the front diff and the coss bar there is a switch/vacume pipes see if these are ok there is limited access so you need a good set of mince pies....
            CHEERS JOHN................

Comment

Originally posted by slim
              it operates by vacume on the front diff.

if you get on ya back and look between the front diff and the coss bar there is a switch/vacume pipes see if these are ok there is limited access so you need a good set of mince pies....
              Had a look at the vac pipes near the diff they looked OK, so followed the vac pipe back and found a hole here.

Can not fix this tonight as i have no new vac pipe . So will have to look at it tomorrow, I am thinking that any loss of vacume along the pipe could cause this problem is this right?

Comment

Sounds about right.

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/at...chmentid=10475

Comment

Had a look at the vac pipes near the diff they looked OK, so followed the vac pipe back and found a hole here.

Can not fix this tonight as i have no new vac pipe . So will have to look at it tomorrow, I am thinking that any loss of vacume along the pipe could cause this problem is this right?

thats right the 4x4 collar/sprocket is pushed across via a diaphram using vacume any hole will cause it to loose pressure thus no pushing..
                  CHEERS JOHN................

Comment

Just bodged a bit of insulation tape over the hole and now have 4x4 back working again.
                    Light comes on, on the dash and everything.
                    Thanks for your help chaps.
                    Just hope no one took a photo of the land-rover pulling me out of the soft sand today. LOL
                    Last edited by Granville; 18 June 2006, 20:49.

Comment

same but different

Hi guys been a while since i posted anything but that is partly testiment to the old girl who just keeps on going, Until last weekend!!! i got her a bit stuck. Pressed the 4x4 switch made all the right noises except the clunk on engagement and no 4x4 light. I then pushed the lever forward and dropped gearbox into L and made it out but no 4x4 light even with lever pushed forward so not sure if 4x4 is working still. Once home i did usual checks bulb seems ok but when pushing 4x4 button the diff is intermitent to engage i could press it 2-3 times and it will work then nothing at all have tried rolling forwards and back and having gearbox in park and neutral but no difference. I have had a quick look at vacume pipes they look all ok any ideas guys??? there are 2 switches/sensors on front diff connections are clean and dry also..

Comment

Best to start a new thread, rather than dig up a 4 year old one.

Also, check the links at the bottom of this page.
                        Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

sorry i didnt check the date only the info. i will check out the links and will make a new post once i`ve located the problem cheers

Comment

Working...
                          X