belt squeel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• belt squeel

finally got around to fitting new belts today after my aircon one broke on the last salisbury trip so we cut it off. other belts were cracking anyway so seemed like a good day to do it...
    it was a pain of a job but I hadnt done it before. still they are all done (i think my alternator belts are too loose though? I cant seem to get it any tighter and the adjuster bolt snapped DOH!)
    the thing is now I have a sqeely type noise, I thought it was the aircon tensioner being stiff but I have free'd that up now but it still does it. its related to engine revs so I can only assume its a belt. all pulleys etc seem to be going round ok.
    the noise sounds a bit like an air leak/sqeel and a turbo together (no its not my turbo inlet!) any ideas??? what have i done?

anyone got an adjuster around (JOTTO/TONYN?) i need the sqaure block with the threaded hole and bolt hole and the thin bolt for adjusting....
    Last edited by dirtydog; 18 June 2006, 00:20.
    Tim
    Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Originally posted by dirtydog
    finally got around to fitting new belts today after my aircon one broke on the last salisbury trip so we cut it off. other belts were cracking anyway so seemed like a good day to do it...
    it was a pain of a job but I hadnt done it before. still they are all done (i think my alternator belts are too loose though? I cant seem to get it any tighter and the adjuster bolt snapped DOH!)
    the thing is now I have a sqeely type noise, I thought it was the aircon tensioner being stiff but I have free'd that up now but it still does it. its related to engine revs so I can only assume its a belt. all pulleys etc seem to be going round ok.
    the noise sounds a bit like an air leak/sqeel and a turbo together (no its not my turbo inlet!) any ideas??? what have i done?

anyone got an adjuster around (JOTTO/TONYN?) i need the sqaure block with the threaded hole and bolt hole and the thin bolt for adjusting....
    Cheap belts? v belt instead of wedge?

Draft angle on belt not suited to pulley?.........

Spray with a degreaser to see what appens. thus eliminating oil as your prob

Al.
    I used to have a surf me!

Comment

not too sure what they all mean but they belts are from roughtrax so i guess these are good.
      fatter than the last ones I had (milners i think- i got them with the car)
      Tim

Comment

fatter than the last ones

And there may lie the problem!

2 types of belts (for our purposes) . V and Wegde. If its fatter at the top but just as deep (top to bottom) but the width at the base is equal to that of the belt removed the draft angle has to be different than the one on the outgoing belt. Thus meaning a reduced contact area with the pulley on the replacement (assuming the original was the correct one)
        Which will lead to squeel

Comment

ok mate thanks - ill investigate this week.

got to get the surf sorted its replacing the landcruiser as towcar next weekend as front has been crashed. the van is an elddis emporer i think they are pretty heavy...
          Tim

Comment

:
            ok mate thanks - ill investigate this week.

got to get the surf sorted its replacing the landcruiser as towcar next weekend as front has been crashed. the van is an elddis emporer i think they are pretty heavy...

Sorry to learn of the crashed LC. for sure you dont want squeeling belts when towing emporers about. or indeed any other dignitary

Al

Comment

Originally posted by phoebelala
              :

Sorry to learn of the crashed LC. for sure you dont want squeeling belts when towing emporers about. or indeed any other dignitary

Al
              lol...
              car dont look too bad but could cost a bit to sort.

im more bothered about damaging the belts so i have to replace them again!
              Tim

Comment

Sounds like it could be the bearing in one of the tensioners / idlers. There's an idler on the aircon belt and the tensioner on the main twin setup. Both have given me a similar problem in the past.
                Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

well i know the aircon one is ok now but i dont remember seeing one for the twin belts... /off to go look/
                  Tim

Comment

well i know the aircon one is ok now but i dont remember seeing one for the twin belts... /off to go look/
                    There isn't one. The alternator pulley is the tensioner.

Nev

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev
                      There isn't one. The alternator pulley is the tensioner.

Nev
                      Oops - shows how long it is since I was down there. I thought there was another idler down the bottom ?
                      Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

Are you sure it's not the harmonic balancer (the rubber thing between the outside of the crankshaft pulley and the inside? Now you have tightened the belts up it might be showing up as a problem?
                        ======
                        Just gotta finish doing the next mod...

Comment

I need to replace the belts on my 2.4 now too. There wasn't really any problems with them but someone thought they heard a slight belt noise so i picked up a bottle of belt dressing to spray on and see if it helped any. Well, NOW ITS SUPER BAD!!! What was once a noise that I couldn't hear is now a super bad SQUEEEEEEK! I suspect it may be due to the fact that the spray was applied unevenly since it couldn't be done while running because the fan blew it all away so I had to shut the motor off, spray, run and then shut it off again, spray, and so on. Anyways I figure I might aswel replace them. It can't hurt.

Comment

Working...
                          X