newbie accident..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• newbie accident..

i was happy fitting a new flexable air intake pipe from the air filter to.. the other part (ha! dunno what that other part is called). then i took it out for a spin, when i stopped i noticed steam coming out of my bonnet i must of nudged the rad cap when i was fitting the pipe. the was quite a bit of brown water marks that had come out..

i dont know how much had leaked out or how much was in so i took the risk of driving back, the temp guage was rising as i was driving and i only just made it home.
    is it normal to put in 2.5 litres of water? i need to get myself another rad cap because the rubber seal has perrished also. i took it out for annother test to see if the rad cap was still holding.. i noticed the tempreture was rising fast so i stopped, lifted the bonnet and there was no leak from the rad cap but there was steam hissing out of the expansion/engine coolant cap? ive put more water in and it seemed ok on the way home.

what do you think the problem is? should i dare to take it out again? i also need to get myself a rad cap and dont know where to get one ergantly, ive tryed the main dealers but they stock car parts haha!
    9/11 WAS AN INSIDE JOB!

is it normal to put in 2.5 litres of water?

Certainly not. If you lost 5 pints of water there is a real danger you have cooked it.

Fill it and run it with the rear and front heaters on. Remove rad cap to see if the water is being pressurised by the pistons indicating blown gasket/head.

Good luck.
    Al.
    I used to have a surf me!

Comment

so hopefully if i run the engine with both heaters on with the rad cap off there should be no movement of water coming out where i have removed the rad cap?
      9/11 WAS AN INSIDE JOB!

Comment

Originally posted by BETRAYAL
        so hopefully if i run the engine with both heaters on with the rad cap off there should be no movement of water coming out where i have removed the rad cap?
        Thats about the gist of it. If the gasket has gone then the system will be pressurised bu the piston/s

Not sure how the 2.4 is configured under the bonnet but you may need to remove the thermostat to see the effect if the engine is cold.
        I used to have a surf me!

Comment

ive been driving it about not and its fine, hope it stays that way
          9/11 WAS AN INSIDE JOB!

Comment

Working...
          X