Technical - mechanical

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Technical - mechanical

Hello everyone, I've just found this site and I'm very impressed. I've recently bought a Toyota Hilux Surf 2.4D (1993) and have now found out that I'm not the only one with head problems. Had a new head fitted under warrenty but it didn't cover my £450 towing bill. I'm now worried what caused the head to crack. What should the temperature gauge be showing? My temperature gauge runs in the middle, is this too hot? I'd be grateful for any advice

Originally posted by IanB
    Hello everyone, I've just found this site and I'm very impressed. I've recently bought a Toyota Hilux Surf 2.4D (1993) and have now found out that I'm not the only one with head problems. Had a new head fitted under warrenty but it didn't cover my £450 towing bill. I'm now worried what caused the head to crack. What should the temperature gauge be showing? My temperature gauge runs in the middle, is this too hot? I'd be grateful for any advice
    they are normally just under halfway at operating temp, what thermostat is in there it should be 88 degrees
    [font=Times New Roman][size=3]
    [size=5][/size]
    [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3][b][i][color=blue]I[/color][color=royalblue]a[/color][color=deepskyblue]n[/color] [color=blue]トヨタの[/color][color=royalblue]波92 のssr[/color][color=deepskyblue][color=royalblue]-g[/color] 擁護者[/color][/i][/b][/size][/font]

Comment

Hi Ian,

Welcome to the forum

The temperature gauge when in the centre is normal temp.

Rich.
      If life's an uphill struggle then downhill from now on can't be that bad?!

Comment

Originally posted by gemini
        they are normally just under halfway at operating temp, what thermostat is in there it should be 88 degrees
        Allthough in other threads it has been talked about that it might be worth running the 3.0 thermostat which operates at 82 to keep the temp lower.
        If life's an uphill struggle then downhill from now on can't be that bad?!

Comment

Ian,

It's a fault in the original heads that causes them to crack. If you've had a new head fitted then you shouldn't have a repeat of the problem....

Enjoy the new car!!
          Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

By all accounts Ian , the temp gauge wont tell you that your heads cracked, just that things have got too hot to go on as is. Lucky (Andy) reckons his head was gone a full year before he knew about it.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL
              By all accounts Ian , the temp gauge wont tell you that your heads cracked, just that things have got too hot to go on as is. Lucky (Andy) reckons his head was gone a full year before he knew about it.
              Yep Jim's right there. I think the only thing the temp guage is good for is telling you it's too late.

My temp gauge is in the middle all the time. If it goes above 3/4 then I'd say you have a problem.

However if the head was changed for a new one then you shouldn't have a problem anyway as they were modified.

Cheers and good luck

Comment

thanks everyone my nerves have eased ianb

Comment

Working...
                X