overheating!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• overheating!

i was driving my 2.4 surf back from southhampton to chester last night and i stopped to drop a friend out at crewe station, when i got out i noticed a fair bit of steam coming out the bonnet, i opened it and checked and it (hot hot water) appeared to be coming out the overflow on the expansion bottle (which was nearly full), i left it to cool down before restarting and it was ok for around 10 minutes before the water temp. gauge went well into the red, and it continued to fluctuate between the middle and the red of the temp gauge, i stopped again to let it cool, same thing happened again another few minutes after starting. finally got home and my only thoughts are that it is either the thermostat or the head gasket gone, i didnt notice any oil in the expansion bottle but it did smell, but i dunno if it was hot antifreeze or exhaust gases.

anyone know what the hell it is?

also where can i get a thermostat or someone who fits new head gaskets?

thanks for your time

wes.
    its broken again..... isnt it.

Try re-newing your rad cap first. The one thats fitted now may be weak and letting coolant past too early.

Comment

yeah ive just read on another thread about the rad cap situation is there any way of checking the rad cap apart from replacing (only because the place i usually buy surf parts takes a day or two to deliver)

ta.

Comment

I knew my rad cap was faulty by squeezing the top hose and coolant just blew straight into expansion bottle .
        Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Originally posted by quagmire
          yeah ive just read on another thread about the rad cap situation is there any way of checking the rad cap apart from replacing (only because the place i usually buy surf parts takes a day or two to deliver)

ta.

I got a new rad cap from my local motor factors. Even Halfords sell them!!!

Comment

excellent, is there a part number on it, as i didnt check last time i looked.

Comment

oh, and what about the viscous fan?

how do i find out if thats knackered?

i read something bout a rolled up newspaper and shoving it in to stop it, but does it stop when broke or does it keep going? also does the engine have to be warm for this test or cold?

ta.

Comment

excellent, is there a part number on it, as i didnt check last time i looked.

I just asked for a rad cap for a Toyota Hilux 2.4 diesel.

Comment

oh, and what about the viscous fan?

how do i find out if thats knackered?

i read something bout a rolled up newspaper and shoving it in to stop it, but does it stop when broke or does it keep going? also does the engine have to be warm for this test or cold?

ta.
                  With a hot engine, the fan should be locked and shread the newspaper.
                  With a cold engine you should be able to stop the fan with the newspaper.

Comment

cold engine, didnt stop fan

but why would this lead to overheating?

oil nice n black, no residue on dipstick or under filler cap

so hopefully not head.

gonna change the thermostat tommorow.

see if that helps.

does the water pump ever go on these?

Comment

any other help guys?

Comment

Black oil? You could do with an oil change.
                        If you couldn't stop the fan when the engine is cold, then that's a good think in my opinion, to work correctly it needs the silicon oil replacing. Mine is pemenently locked so it's working all the time.
                        To see if your water pump is working, remove the rad cap and start the engine. Rev the engine from the engine bay (at the end of the throttle cable) and see if the coolant level rises and falls. If it does the pump is errrr pumping!

Top your coolant up with the engine running and the heaters set to hot (including the rear heater)

Comment

ok but you cant see much down the rad cap cos its on a bend aint it. it does need refilling though

Comment

There should be coolant under the rad cap after you've removed it.

Comment

Mine did exactly that when the head went.
                              I hoped it wasnt and kept letting it cool etc, but it had gone.
                              French fishing at it's best www.mayennefishing.com

Comment

Working...
                              X