• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smokey problem

Hi all,Great site lots of usefull info.
    I wondered if anyone has come across this problem before.I have had my 91
    2.4 efi surf (auto) for a few month now, and under normal driving its ok,(a
    little black smoke on accelaration and intemittent missfire when cruising at
    about 50 mph), its when stationary or low range I have a problem.
    Idle is normal but when I rev to about 1500 rpm I get bluey white smoke
    from the exhaust and a missfire that clears when I increase to aprox 2800 rpm.
    Poblems I have found are:Theres a lot of oil in the turbo to thottle body
    and play in the turbo.The rubber elbow and hose from air filter are split but taped up,also someone had blanked the two vacuum pipes connected to the
    diaphram on the throttle body, not sure what its for but it opens the small
    butterfly in the throttle I've put them back but no change.
    if anyone has any ideas I'd be greatful as its bugging me now. Thanks
    p.s sorry its a bit longwinded

If there is no oil in the intake before the Turbo, then your turbo seals are on the way out, the miss and smoke could be the amount of oil its sucking in, but you should notice the oil dissappearing and it'll need topping up frequently. If its just as oily before the turbo, then it probably coming from the crankcase breather, which shows excessive crankcase pressure.

If its just black smoke the injectors could do with a clean, and maybe block the EGR up to stop it recirculating already oily exhaust gases. But if the EGR is jammed open this won't help, you'll need to physically block the pipe from the exhaust to the intake.

The small butterfly next to the throttle flap is the shut down valve, it just helps the engine turn off smoothly.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
    X