No announcement yet.

engine seized we have been told????????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I still reckon the timing belts snapped, so I wouldn't try and turn the engine over until this has been confirmed.

Comment

Pull the rubber plug from the timing belt cover in front of the cam sprocket. Put a 19mm socket on the crank bolt and turn slightly to see if cam sprocket turns. If it does them cambelt is ok, if not then you know its broken. If you feel any resistance (Pistons hitting valves) stop.

Nev

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
        I still reckon the timing belts snapped, so I wouldn't try and turn the engine over until this has been confirmed.
        Yeah, if a valve has bent and stayed down, the piston will be up against it.
        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

prepare yourself

don`t want to be a doom and gloom master, but what you are describing in the first post, sounds exactly what happened to my Surf. After a session of offroading, I was driving home and the engine was making small tapping sounds, then when I went to accelarate up a steep hill there was a bang and all the dash lights came on, I dipped the clutch and coasted to a stop at the side of the road.
          When a mechanic eventually took the head off, he found that the combustion chamber inside the head had came adrift, (seemingly they are pressed in ) and the chamber falling in to the bore seized the engine the next stroke the piston came up. The end result was a re-con engine and I have had nothing but trouble with this engine since it went in. (that`s another story). I would still try the diagnosis/elimination theorys the other guys have suggested before pulling the head to bits.
          Maybe TonyN could confirm if the heads have the pressed in chambers?

Comment

Originally posted by chasharman
            Maybe TonyN could confirm if the heads have the pressed in chambers?
            Yup,

BUT........

The chamber can't just fall out, it overlaps the edge of the cylinder bore, it must have broken up and parts of it dropped out to cause the damage you had. I've not seen this before on a Surf, I think you just got unlucky.

see pic to explain easier........

As you can see from extremely foobarred and overheated head, the chamber is fine and has no damage.

Comment

thanx guys tried the 19 mm socket ,thing completly solid going to have take the head of and have a look doesnt look good though, should the be lots of oil in the turo pipe??????????? lol doesnt look good!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Hehe, this is what can happen when a precombustion chamber breaks up....
                http://www.toyotadiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=262

Comment

Originally posted by Rob
                  I've known pre comb chambers come loose , but normally rattle and stay trapped between head and block by the gasket . Never known one fall completley out !
                  Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Originally posted by Rob
                    Completely off topic, but the arse at the bottom of that page
                    who said he was a TV repairman, (can't even get the name
                    right. Only customers say TV repairman), ought to be shot
                    for calling a CRT a picture tube.

Call me prickly if you will.

Matt

Comment

Originally posted by MattF

Call me prickly if you will.

Matt

You're picky!

And to Robs post, Linda's combustion chambers had small cracks them when I did the head gasket 2 years ago, lots of abuse and 30,000 miles later and they are still the same, no worse at all.

I think thats another freak accident.

Comment

Working...
                      X