Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Variations on a theme - Blown head/head gasket

Hi Folks,
    I popped into garage for diesel on the way back from London to Blackburn. My 2.4 Hillux Surf had been behaving itself totally - temp guage needle square in the middle as usual. As I'm paying the chap for the diesel, he casually announces that there seems to be a lot of steam coming from the bonnet of my vehicle...

I did all the necessary - careful depressurising via rad cap, slow refilling with water, running with all the heating systems on full blast, replenish after release of air bubbles etc. For a while I was delighted. I let the engine run for ages, the needle stayed firmly in the middle. I travelled for another fifty miles - all heaters pushing out mega hot air. Stopped at service station. No overheating from engine compartment - small amount of water loss which I put down to release of minor air-bubbles etc. Went for a coffee, eventually started the beast again - tons of steam from the exhaust.

Well folks, I eventually got back to Blackburn. Engine never missed a beat, a few fillups with water, including one on the hard shoulder and another at a service station that charged 50p to use their water...

Obviously I'm about to contact Stevo in Stockport. I'm assuming I've blown the head gasket, I may have a cracked head. Any other thoughts? There didn't seem to be any leaks under the Surf before hand...

Pat Mc Kenna, fed-up, knackered, about to be very broke.

hi pat - just found out mine has gone - i had to get the comubstion gas test done as nothing else seemed amiss, apart from me knowing it had been in the red a couple of times

i'm heading off abroad this winter and want to use the surf - so it's good that i know now so i can use the truck up in the mountains this winter

its a bit of a swine, financialy, but by no means the worst news i've heard happen to anyone in the last few weeks

good luck with yours - get the test done there just seems to be no way of knowing otherwise!
    problems? i'll take 'em.

Comment

Variations on a theme - Blown head/head gasket

Thanks Skyhook
      Taking the beast to Stevo in Stockport tomorrow. Best of luck up the mountains later in the year.
      Pat

Comment

Working...
      X