I also bought a money pit and now it has died

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I also bought a money pit and now it has died

Bought a hilux surf 2.4 2 years ago or so. Loved it.

Even when the radiator went, and the water system packed up, and the rear axle broke and the tyres needed replacing and the air conditioning system failed. And this was on normal roads.

I still love it, but the engine has packed up. Head gasket has cracked in four places. Cylinders packed up. Great chunks out the steel casing. Worst engine damage my mechanic mate has seen in 22 years he says. New engine is required.

Anyway, 2 questions to you all.

1) Do I repair it? I have spent probably well over £2000 to date on a £4300 buy and will spend another £2000 or so on a new engine. Or do I s$$$$ it and start again?

2) If I repair it where is the best (and then cheapest) place to buy a brand new hilux 2.4 diesel engine? Toyota have quoted me £1650+VAT for a brand new one.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks, Rob

Originally posted by hiluxnewbie
    Bought a hilux surf 2.4 2 years ago or so. Loved it.

Even when the radiator went, and the water system packed up, and the rear axle broke and the tyres needed replacing and the air conditioning system failed. And this was on normal roads.

I still love it, but the engine has packed up. Head gasket has cracked in four places. Cylinders packed up. Great chunks out the steel casing. Worst engine damage my mechanic mate has seen in 22 years he says. New engine is required.

Anyway, 2 questions to you all.

1) Do I repair it? I have spent probably well over £2000 to date on a £4300 buy and will spend another £2000 or so on a new engine. Or do I s$$$$ it and start again?

2) If I repair it where is the best (and then cheapest) place to buy a brand new hilux 2.4 diesel engine? Toyota have quoted me £1650+VAT for a brand new one.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks, Rob

try Stevo never heard a bad word said about him
    http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/members_p...evo/index.html
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

S$$$$ it and get a 3 litre, i'm considering doing the same if my cambelt goes.
      Including buying my 2.4 it has cost me over £10,000 in new parts and repairs in 2 and a half years.

And i thought Toyotas were bullet proof when i bought it!
      French fishing at it's best www.mayennefishing.com

Comment

10 Grand? Did you get the wheels platinum plated? Cripes, I had better be extra double nice to mine from now on.

Back to the point. Being an expert on these things because mine went and Tony patiently pointed at bits and told me what they did, it sounds like the radiator and the water and whatnot cracked your head and it's been getting progressively worse since, and now the engine's gone 'pop'.

Assuming your truck is worth 2,000 to 2,500 and maybe 500 to 800 a scr@p, a new engine fitted and everything for around 1,500 would make it worth fixing, if only to sell it on. Any more than that and you might as well bin it and get another or, even better, a 3.0.

No doubt Stevo can quote you for a new 2.4 engine. No doubt Tony would be happy to quote your for a V8 or a Supra twin turbo conversion, seeing as you need a new engine anyway.....

Comment

money pit

I guess thats the trouble with old vehicles, I've known people spend £20-£30,000 on doing up landrovers that will never be worth what they've spent.
          Personally I prefer the look of the early surfs, and find the latest gen to be too similar looking to the shogun and all the others, the early surfs look like a 4x4 should do with none of that awfull plastic trim, they're a classic.
          If you love it then spend the money,.
          Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Originally posted by plumb bob
            I guess thats the trouble with old vehicles, I've known people spend £20-£30,000 on doing up landrovers that will never be worth what they've spent.
            Personally I prefer the look of the early surfs, and find the latest gen to be too similar looking to the shogun and all the others, the early surfs look like a 4x4 should do with none of that awfull plastic trim, they're a classic.
            If you love it then spend the money,.

I agree the new 4x4s look $$$$ part from the hummer of course and noone ever takes them off road because they are too expensive to damage and all the new technology takes all the fun out of it.

Comment

In all honesty, the money is obviously something that has to
              be moderated, but that's not the reason for having one. When
              you purchase a vehicle of this age, you know there will be faults
              that need repairing. You could buy a newer vehicle for more
              that requires less work, but you lose the character of the older
              vehicles, and where is the fun in not messing around with your
              motor. At the end of the day, a lot of the problems which
              appear as time goes on could have been avoided or minimised
              through preventive, (and common sense), maintenance. Bad
              luck will always rear its head on occasion, but if you want trouble
              free motoring, you should go for a generic looking new'ish
              motor. Personally, I prefer something that I know will need
              working upon, but once that work has been done, you end up
              with something that has character and that you can be proud of.

Matt

Comment

Originally posted by christopoher murphy
                I agree the new 4x4s look $$$$ part from the hummer of course and noone ever takes them off road because they are too expensive to damage and all the new technology takes all the fun out of it.
                At about 8 tonnes, the Hummer would probably sink as soon as
                you took it of tarmac. (I'd love to see one of those trying to go
                through a mudpit).

Matt

Comment

Working...
                X