I bought a money pit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I bought a money pit

Hi all, I've just bought a 1989 2.4 TD ssr.
    Got probs with air con not working, usual rear winow probs(needs new motor), drivers window not working, although motor is ok,
    alternator just failed on saturday and the surf is now in one gararge, and the alternator is 30 miles away undergoing surgery.
    The exhaust is blowing from manifold and is very rusty but still attached, and when driving all the dash warning ligts flash intermitantly but dont seem to cause any probs, unless thats what blew the alternator?
    Also needs new tyres, can anyone tell me what is the largest tyre that will fit onto the origional 15"x6J rims?
    Some of these faults I knew about before I bought it and It didnt cost a fortune, and no I'd rather not set fire to it just yet.
    Last edited by plumb bob; 18 May 2006, 18:08.
    Rob

Still working for the man!

Biggest tyres will be 31x10.5R15, or their metric equivelents. A busted alternator will make half of the idiot lights come on in the dash, so with a new Alt it should be OK.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Money pit

Thanks for that, the alternator can hopefully be repaired, although the lights only flicker every few mins, and only started doing it after the service.
      As far as tyre go I'm looking at the Cooper ST's but only after I've fixed all the other probs.My surf has no wide wheel arches(narrow body?)so will the 10.5's hang outside the body? and is this an MOT prob or maybe a pull from the boys in blue??
      Thanks again, this forum is a great help especially for the technically challenged like myself.
      Last edited by plumb bob; 18 May 2006, 19:08.
      Rob

Comment

Originally posted by plumb bob
        Thanks for that, the alternator can hopefully be repaired, although the lights only flicker every few mins, and only started doing it after the service.
        As far as tyre go I'm looking at the Cooper ST's but only after I've fixed all the other probs.My surf has no wide wheel arches(narrow body?)so will the 10.5's hang outside the body? and is this an MOT prob or maybe a pull from the boys in blue??
        Thanks again, this forum is a great help especially for the technically challenged like myself.
        They,ll be fine, they wont stick out and neither plod nor the MOT tester will bother you. Ive got the same tyres and the same skinny Surf.

Bogus
        Сви можемо

Comment

big tyres

GREAT!!! I was hoping that was the case, that means I can go shopping for some Cooper ST's as soon as I've got all the other really expensive stuff sorted and got the thing actally running.lol;
          Rob

Comment

money pit

Well, the alternator is not economical to repair, and after much searching for one that will actually fit mine( milners had one listed with vac pump on rear, but turned out to be a printing error!) in desparation I phoned my local Toyota dearlership.
            Gave them engine and frame nos. they said no probs £150.00 inc vat (exchange) for a recon unit. I did'nt think that was too bad, all I hope now is that it will actually fit my truck.
            PS: Anybody had any dealings with the Cooper ST's???
            Last edited by plumb bob; 22 May 2006, 18:14.
            Rob

Comment

Working...
            X