Cylinder head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cylinder head

hi i have a Ln130 2.4 TD Surf and the head gasket has gone so i took the head of and it has cracked between the valves. iam doing this job for a friend.So i need a new head i have been looking around you all seam to recomend Stevo in stockport so i told my friend that it will cost about £800 they were hopeing to do the job cheaper. They had a look around and found a few on ebay for a bare head its about £300 they asked me to ring the guy up so i did. I got a few answers i am unsure about.
    I normally work on peugeout 205gti when i do headgaskets on them i always replace headbolts

this guy on the phone said that i dont need to replace the headbolts also i asked about gaskets he said that i only need a headgasket and i shoild use gasket sealler for things like exhust manifold, inlet manifold etc

then i saked if the head was modifed with the thicker waterways he said yes but iam not sure i belive him.

any help would be great

Thanks Johnny

You will most definately need new head bolts as they are stretch bolts!
    You can get all you'll need from here........

http://www.milneroffroad.com/LN130.htm

I would use the proper gaskets for the manifolds, especially the inlet.

Comment

It sounds to me like you know this guy's dodgy.

There's a few threads on here about people buying cheap heads off ebay sellers and having problems with them. Maybe some are good and some are bad, I don't know. When I had my head replaced I took the view that at £300-£400 labour to change it, it would cost about the same to get it done once, properly, with a Stevo head as it would to get it done again in a year's time having used a cheap head.

I don't know much about engines, but if gasket sealer and second hand bolts were good enough, why would people ever buy new gaskets and bolts?

I suppose it comes down to what your friend wants from his surf. If he wants to keep it and run it, I would go for the Stevo head. If he wants to flog it to some unsuspecting punter, stick a cheap head on and fill it up with gunk so it seems alright, then get ready to spend an eternity in hell.

Comment

thanks for info guys dont wont to be changeing the head again in 12 months
        unfortanly the previous owner has conned my friend.

As i was takeing the engine apart all the bolts seamed to come out a bit to easy all so the head bolts looked brand new no sign of any corrision. The head was cracked between all the valves. Then i found out that the thurmostate has been riped out. So Someone has had the head of sean the damage and decided to put it all back together and take the thurmostae out and then sell it over winter. Some people are so devious.

Johnny

Comment

Head

Hello mate...

You say you are looking for a new head, I got one from the s$$$$ yard for £150... it was mint, but it was off a non-turbo english car. I have covered 6000 miles since fitting and had no bother at all. The car I got the head off had covered 285000 miles and by the looks of things it was its original head, had a bit of wear on the valve stems but appart from that it was mint. So my advice would be just get one form the s$$$$py and use your valves cam etc... off your old car in the newly aquired head. Much cheaper plus at that many miles all the stresses will have been taken out.

Andy

Comment

Working...
          X