4WD Light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4WD Light

I have a 1991 Surf LN130 2.4 TD Auto, SSR Ltd. if all that makes any difference, anyways...

When you press the 4WD button on the side of the transfer lever...

Stationary, you get a click from behind the dash and a clunk from underneath, the motor on the transfer box runs and 4WD definately engages as the front prop shaft turns if you creep it forward. But you get no light on the dash.

Moving slowly as it says to do in the toyota book thing, it sometimes does the same as above and sometimes the 4WD does not engage you get no clicks or clunks just the flashing light on the dash and warning buzzer.

Any ideas? As i understand it the light should come on and stay on with no buzzer when 4WD engages, am i right? And if you press the 4WD button and it doesn't engage you should get the flashy light and buzzer, so that bit of it seems to be working ok.

Any thoughts/comments/ideas/solutions greatly appreciated,

Thnx in advance, Ian
    =========
    =SOLD UP!=
    =========

try going back and forth a bit after pressing the button to see if that will engage properly and then the light should come on
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce1067
      try going back and forth a bit after pressing the button to see if that will engage properly and then the light should come on
      Sounds familar hey Stormforce !!!!
      Mine's a Manual that hadn't been used in 4WD in a while.
      Tony advised me when mine's playing up at Salisbury Plain, check the conections & vacum pipes underneath on rear of gearbox & at the front diff, Hey presto light on & 4WD engaged & we went & had some fun playtime !!!
      Good Luck

There's always a Payback.... You just can't see it Comin !!!!
      Buncefield Burner

Comment

Cheers Guys,

4WD IS definately engaging, front propshaft IS definately turning.

When you press the button there's a click somewhere underneath like a switch or relay, a similar noise in the dash and a noise like an electric motor from the transfer box underneath engaging and disengaging the front drive. And the propshaft is turning.

I was sat outside the car yesterday handbrake on and engine running just reaching in to knock it in and out of four wheel drive and using my hand on the pedals to rock it back and forth whilst looking underneath and it all appears to be working fine. The front prop shaft turns when it should and doesn't when it shouldn't, the transfer box all seems to be working well, and visually everything looks good.

Quick tip for anyone else thinking of trying this, make sure your handbrake is firmly ON, and be ready to hit the foot brake aswell if you're trying low ratio aswell. Or run after your surf as it wanders gracefully down the road.

Actually:- Probably best to do it facing up a slight hill with a bit of room in front of you.

I've even had it up and down muddy tracks spinning up all 4 wheels to make sure everythings working right , the L/S/Ds are working properly as far as i can tell.

It is literally just the dash light that's not working.

The bulb has been tested so it's not that.

Thanx again,

Ian

P.S. Can anyone post pictures of where these vacuum hoses would be though so i can check them, although as far as i can work out there would be no drive on the front wheels if it was these that were leaking or blocked, but i may be wrong. Also i think i read somewhere on here about some servo hoses under the bonnet that can cause similar problems. If anyone's found these.

PPS / BTW

I am not condoning using 4WD on tarmac cos i'd get lynched so please please please remember if you're going to try what i did, do it on a loose surface, or at least make sure your wheels are straight to stop your differentials winding up and pulling your gearbox apart, and remember to take it out of 4WD before you drive anywhere or things start getting expensive

=========
        =SOLD UP!=
        =========

Comment

Working...
        X