Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What all the fuss about 2.4 ?

Hi all ,
    I have recently bought a 2.4 auto to tow my caravan but a few people have told me to come in here and read up on them ! I have read about the heads going but thats about it !

Im a little confused

I have only had it 2days and find it fine its done 90k and drives fine a little heavy on fuel but thats the only fault !

That is indeed about it.

The heads go on some, but you know about that. Apparently they don't go on most.

Not much else to say. Have fun with it.

Comment

As long as you look after it and check the fluids, oil and grease points, don't try and drive it like a 'hot hatch' it will be fine. If you find it getting hot and bothered from towing, there's a few modifications you can do to sort it out, all explained on here.

Comment

Originally posted by beno
        Hi all ,
        I have recently bought a 2.4 auto to tow my caravan but a few people have told me to come in here and read up on them ! I have read about the heads going but thats about it !

Im a little confused

I have only had it 2days and find it fine its done 90k and drives fine a little heavy on fuel but thats the only fault !
        hi and welcome!!!

its no diffrent from any other car realy an head could crack or a rad bust etc on any car!!! although there is a fault with a minority of 2.4 heads as you have read no doubt!!

its very rare for people to come on here and post how good there surfs are never mind the 2.4 version, the only time people will post ( apart from the hardcore nutters ) is if they have a problem or require advise this is generaly what forums are for. it is nice to know that there are new owners like yourself that are enjoying there trucks as much as what i and others still do.as far as the fuel goes it all depends how heavy your right foot is, but they can be as economical as some larger of the family cars.
        CHEERS JOHN................

Comment

Cheers guys ,
          I would never had bought one knowing that there were serious faults ! I only paid £1800 for it from a mate which i thought was pretty good considering the cheapest ive seen was £2700 and it looked a right old dog ! The body work is outstanding as is the interior there is a few little niggles like the back window sticking and the ashtray missing but me and the misses love it . I will take some pics over the weekend and get them posted .

Comment

I only paid £1800 for it from a mate which i thought was pretty good considering the cheapest ive seen was £2700 and it looked a right old dog !
            That's a blummin good price!! You should be very happy with it!

Had my 2.4 for 13 months now. Still love it, and I've done 27,000 kms!!

Change the oil regularly, and keep your fingers crossed!!
            It just does, OK?

Comment

double post
              Last edited by skyhooked; 28 April 2006, 01:46.
              problems? i'll take 'em.

Comment

that does sound a great price!

i'm new to the surf world, i;ve had a few coolant issues, but my truck drives great and the missus and i love cruising about in it

i drive it everyday, all over the place, around all the tight cornish lanes and getting into a bit of offroading, its a very smooth vehicle

build quality of these things from what i can see is insanse - they're big machines but comfy with it and look pretty good too

we'll be using mine for some camping trips soon, cant wait! at the moment its ferrying me and my kites and boards about around the coast. i;ve had a few cars over the years, this by far beats the lot and gives me the biggest stoke everytime i drive it

the surf is like a new hobby for me, i love it! get your pics up here and make us all green...
                problems? i'll take 'em.

Comment

£1800 is a good price - so even if head goes and you have to speand £1000 ish on it its still not that pricey for the 4x4 you have got....
                  Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Cheers guys ,
                    I would never had bought one knowing that there were serious faults ! I only paid £1800 for it from a mate which i thought was pretty good considering the cheapest ive seen was £2700 and it looked a right old dog ! The body work is outstanding as is the interior there is a few little niggles like the back window sticking and the ashtray missing but me and the misses love it . I will take some pics over the weekend and get them posted .
                    Just keep an eye on the coolant, check it at the bottle and at the actual radcap (not on the rad, follow the coolant hose to the top of the engine) before long jouneys. make sure it's always full of coolant and the odds are you'll be fine. my 2.4 is now on 122,000 Miles (not klicks) no troubles.

For your sticky back window, pop into a motor factors and ask them to get you some Holts 'rubber and nylon lubricant' clean out the rubber 'track' that the window slots in and lube it up. if it still aint smooth greese the runners in the tailgate.

As for ashtrays, I think both TonyN and Jotto have breaker cars at the moment. ask about or PM them, I bet there's someone will post you an ashtray for a very reasonable price.

Comment

As promised here is a few pics ! They were taken with my mobile so not the best will take some on sunday with digi cam
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by beno; 28 April 2006, 20:19.

Comment

That looks like 1700 very well spent you lucky b@st@rd.

I'll buy it off you for 1750. Nice profit there for you

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho
                          That looks like 1700 very well spent you lucky b@st@rd.

I'll buy it off you for 1750. Nice profit there for you

£1750 i give £1800 no profit there give me £2700 and she is yours !!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X