Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2lt-II block on a 3L?

Hi there,

I live in Canada and my girlfriend has an imported (from Japan) 1989 Hilux pickup with a sezied 3L (long story). What I want to know is whether or not a block from a 2LT-II will fit on a 3L engine? If it will fit what are the cons to this?

Thanks,

Wes

Wes.

In Theory it should. A 3L head will fit a 2LT block although I think a spacer gasket will need to be used if you are going to use the Turbo from the 2LT as well to reduce the compression ratio. However, maybe someone else will tell me I'm wrong. As long as the engine is a 2LT as opposed to a 2LTE then you will also not have to worry about electronics that wuld be usually fitted - the 2LTE has a crank position sensor for the ECU which the 2LT doesn't have.

However you say the block is from a 2LT-II, do you mean a 2L2 engine which is the late model of the 2L engine used in the pickup, if so I am not sure if it will work, not sure if the 2L2 uses an ECU and has any differrences in the block altough the 2L2 head and 2LT/2LTE heads are interchangeable.

You might also want to contact Wayne (Crushers) on the IH8MUD.com forum as he is in Calgary and has some good experience on the 2L engines (on the Landcruiser 7X series)

Comment

Thanks for the information. The block is from a 2LT-II out of a 1990 Surf. The mechanic here is almost 100% sure it will fit. He is going to come over this weekend to verify, but I thought I would do some homework before that.

Thanks,

Wes

Originally posted by lucky
      Wes.

In Theory it should. A 3L head will fit a 2LT block although I think a spacer gasket will need to be used if you are going to use the Turbo from the 2LT as well to reduce the compression ratio. However, maybe someone else will tell me I'm wrong. As long as the engine is a 2LT as opposed to a 2LTE then you will also not have to worry about electronics that wuld be usually fitted - the 2LTE has a crank position sensor for the ECU which the 2LT doesn't have.

However you say the block is from a 2LT-II, do you mean a 2L2 engine which is the late model of the 2L engine used in the pickup, if so I am not sure if it will work, not sure if the 2L2 uses an ECU and has any differrences in the block altough the 2L2 head and 2LT/2LTE heads are interchangeable.

You might also want to contact Wayne (Crushers) on the IH8MUD.com forum as he is in Calgary and has some good experience on the 2L engines (on the Landcruiser 7X series)

Comment

Working...
      X