Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noisey Rear Diff!

Hi everyone.

Got a 93 2.4 Hilux surf. Which has a noisey rear diff once warm, in slow speed turns. Just recently replaced a collapsed rear wheel bearing which ruptured the half shaft oil seal (consequently lost a lot of the oil) Not sure if any parts entered the diff. The oil drained out looked a little metalic? Could the wrong oil cause problems?

Any body else experienced similar or know best way to fix? Will it be a case of fit a new/recon diff?

look forward to some responses

Thanks Carl

Originally posted by Mitchos
    Hi everyone.

Got a 93 2.4 Hilux surf. Which has a noisey rear diff once warm, in slow speed turns. Just recently replaced a collapsed rear wheel bearing which ruptured the half shaft oil seal (consequently lost a lot of the oil) Not sure if any parts entered the diff. The oil drained out looked a little metalic? Could the wrong oil cause problems?

Any body else experienced similar or know best way to fix? Will it be a case of fit a new/recon diff?

look forward to some responses

Thanks Carl
    hi, for the cheapest method first i would check the oil level in the diff and poss change anyway. just make sure you find out wot diff you have before putting any old oil in there, i suppose it is poss that some debris could of entered the diff but who knows... if that doesnt sort it your next cheapest option would be to buy a recon diff with same ratio....as for the mettalic that could just be the fragments of steel that ware from the gearing over time, this is normal..having said that ive used diff oil before that as a mettalic like texture suppose it depends on the manufacture.

oh and welcome to the forum...
    CHEERS JOHN................

Comment

Drain it and refill with new oil first, then you know that is correct, Its a long way up the gousing to the diff, I've not known of any diff failures from bits of bearing getting that far up, more like the lack of oil caused any damage.

If you have a LSD the worn clutch plates could be doing odd things, if its a normal open diff then it'll be general wear noise.

Check the pinion shaft and bearing first, I've known a 3 or 4 to have come loose.
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
      X