fan belts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fan belts

hi i have a squealing noise coming from my engine when i start which goes away when the engine warms up, i have checked my belts and the two fan belts to the left seem to be quite loose, (sorry don;t know what theses power!) anyhow just wondering if anyone could help me out with how i would go about tightening them? i can see a small nut with a long thred on it does this have anything to do with it? people can hear me coming a mile away!

can anyone help please...

Those two belts are for the alternator, and need to be tight as they recharge your batteries when the engine is running. The long bolt is the adjuster.
    What truck do you have? Put the details under youe user name/profile.

Comment

hi thanks for the quick reply, thought they were for the alternator.
      i have a 2.4 desil 1991 surf.
      there are two 12mm bolt on the side of the alternator, accesable from the top. which one of these is it?

thanks for your time

Comment

See pic. loosen front bolt, adjust tension of belts with the long side bolt, re-tighten front bolt. Belts should be only tight enough to twist 90 degrees.
        Attached Files

Comment

hi thanks for you help, do i have to take the fule pump of above, as i can't get to the first nut, also do i 'undo' (anti clock wise)the tension nut to tighten the belt rather then do-up (clock wise)
          thanks again

Comment

You mean the air con. compressor. I have removed mine thats why you can see the alternator better.
            Loosen the front bolt anti-clockwise, then turn the side adjuster bolt clockwise and you should see the alternator move away from the engine. when the belta are tight enough, re-tighten the front bolt.

A bit fiddly, but if you have a socket set with different attatchments you should be o.k.

Comment

Air con

HI Bushwacker its Alz please could you list me all the components you remove when you removed the aircon.Mine has been de gassed ready for the gas change and I have not found anyone who will re gas it with the new stuff. Many thanks .Alz

Comment

Belts

If your air con pump is still there ,I adjusted mine through the off side wheel arch by removing the rubber cover.

Comment

Originally posted by ALZ
                  HI Bushwacker its Alz please could you list me all the components you remove when you removed the aircon.Mine has been de gassed ready for the gas change and I have not found anyone who will re gas it with the new stuff. Many thanks .Alz

Here's all the parts I removed..........
                  Attached Files

Comment

Thanks

Cheers mate , good picture will try and follow it.Is there a market for these parts???.Mine all worked well before de gassing.Still learning. ALZ

Comment

Now and again people ask for compressors or condenser/rads.
                      Whip it off and put it all on Ebay you never know, someone out there may have a Surf with no Air con 'cos some buggas ripped it out!

If you need any more photos of where all the parts come from in the engine bay, let me know and I'll post then on here tomorrow.

Comment

Late night

Just finished/fixed my central locking and new alarm in between coffee's and reading your posts (and the wife saying its now Wednesday and other things). Thanks again its like a 24hour work shop manual who needs Haynes.
                        If this lot was put to paper it must be worth a ?????????.
                        ALZ

Comment

Apologies Runk

Sorry mate for drifting off on one hope you sort out the belts good luck.
                          ALZ
                          Last edited by ALZ; 19 April 2006, 00:59.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                            If you need any more photos of where all the parts come from in the engine bay, let me know and I'll post then on here tomorrow.
                            That would be nice, if you could. Contemplating ripping mine out

Matt

Comment

Working...
                            X