Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fan?overheating close call

Greetings.

Had my Surf out a run today. Stopped at traffic lights and could tell there was somethin not quite right . Could hear the cooling fan running which i've never heard since i got the Surf in December. As i travelled about a mile the temp' guage started to rise to just below the red!!! Heating was only blowing cold air!!!
    Stoped and checked under bonnet,water everywhere!! Let it cool right down (went done shopping in Asda,10lt finest still water available). Went back and checked water levels,bone dry!! Found a hose had popped off and water was emptying as fast as i could fill it. Put hose back on and filled up again. Surf behaved well on journey back home (40 miles) temp only showing half way.
    Just got home and went about town(5min)in Surf now fans coming back on
    Is this usual for the fan to be coming on since the outside temp is a little warmer than usual and i was runnong about town??
    Got a 4wd day out tmrw and don't want to risk blowin me Surf up!!

Cheers
    www.scottishmudclub.com for scottish events

Mine does the same when the weather is warmer. I can do the same journey in winter, up the steep lane to get to my house and the electric fan won't come on, but as soon as the weather warms up I do the same route, doing the same speeds and just before I get to the top of the lane, the fan will come on. It's nice to know it's working.

Comment

Thanks for that. i've checked water again and run with cap off and heaters on to make sure no air locks etc. fingers crossed.

Cheers
      www.scottishmudclub.com for scottish events

Comment

overheating

Is it the electric fan you are hearing coming on?
        About a year ago, the electric fan on my 2.4 was coming on if I had been using my air con. A few times it pulled the battery down as the fan was running all night. After this, I pulled the wire on the air con compressor and removed the belts. I no longer have air con (who needs air con in Scotland anyway) but I have never heard that fan coming on again, even on long haul journeys Good luck.

Comment

Working...
        X