starting issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starting issues

hi there, i have an 87 2.4 td and the cold starting is terrible, i'm in nz at the moment and winter is almost here.
    this could be coincidenc3e but it seemed to start after i went off road, did a few river crossings and got about 1/2 a litre of water in the air filter, the engine spluttered a bit then cut out, it started again with no problems a few minutes later and runs fine but its an absolute bitch to start on cold mornings(warm starts are no problem at all) , a guy at work seems to think i have compression problems.
    the heat lamps i keep under the engine bay at night are starting to cost a bit to run-any ideas?

Originally posted by martinworswick
    hi there, i have an 87 2.4 td and the cold starting is terrible, i'm in nz at the moment and winter is almost here.
    this could be coincidenc3e but it seemed to start after i went off road, did a few river crossings and got about 1/2 a litre of water in the air filter, the engine spluttered a bit then cut out, it started again with no problems a few minutes later and runs fine but its an absolute bitch to start on cold mornings(warm starts are no problem at all) , a guy at work seems to think i have compression problems.
    the heat lamps i keep under the engine bay at night are starting to cost a bit to run-any ideas?

replace the glow plugs first then investigate further if its still bad.
    My 0old 2.4 had all 4 plugs blown but still started after about a min of cranking.
    I used to have a surf me!

Comment

Originally posted by martinworswick
      Is it sluggish on turnover, or turning over fine but just not firing?

Matt

Comment

glow-plug circuit

Hi,
        Try cleaning the glow-plug bar and terminals. Also the battery and engine terminals. After I did this the orange light was really bright. I replaced the standard 7 volt plugs with later model hilux pick up 11 volt plugs.This was initially a mistake from the local spares shop! With these 11 volt plugs the main relay and light go off after 1 or 2 seconds. I wait between 30 and 60seconds before swinging. This heating is on the secondary 7 volt circuit. This relay kicks out about 2 minutes after start up when engine reaches operating temp. so ther is no chance of burning out plugs or relays. Since I did this she starts first swing and is quiet and smooth.
        Hope this helps.
        1987 1st gen owner.
        chris