Leaky fuel pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaky fuel pump

Doh! Noticed lots of spots of an oil like substance on the drive, and in front of the house where I turn round to park. It seems to be the dreaded fuel pump..

When the engine is hot, it literally pours out from under the engine. Not that easy to see where it's coming from, but it's definately diesel (and veg oil!!).

I've ordered a seal kit from Milners, so I'm after a few pointers, please?? I'd rather not remove the pump, if at al possible, but I guess I'll have to wait and see.

Suppose it could be the Veg Oil that's caused the leak?
    It just does, OK?

Most likely the veg oil. When I used it back last summer, I noticed spots on the drive after a run, but since I went back to using 100% diesel, the leak stopped.

Comment

when i had similar problem
      i got kit from milners too
      and my leak was from top of the pump so just replaced top O ring gasket and she was ok
      hope yours same as that can be done in situ
      Enjoying Life after Cancer
      Pops

Comment

I take it just replacing the top seal is a relatively easy job?

It's just taking everything else off to actually get at the pump!!!
        It just does, OK?

Comment

Originally posted by dave.j.robbo

yes the top seal is easy not sure on the rest so pray its the top seal
          Enjoying Life after Cancer
          Pops

Comment

Originally posted by dave.j.robbo

Had the same type of problem a couple O' months ago leaking Diesel (No Veg) from the Pump some where.
            I aquired a kit, spoke to the Man, "Mr Tony" he had a squint, pinpointed it, booked it in & no Problems for Tony !!!! Have a word.......

There's always a Payback.... You just can't see it Coming !!!!
            Buncefield Burner

Comment

I have the same thing but it happens after I switch the engine off after a short journey when the engine is cold, it does not always leak though. Any ideas or do I need 1 of these kits? If so, can you let me have the number of the company that sells them.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by The Hornet
                I have the same thing but it happens after I switch the engine off after a short journey when the engine is cold, it does not always leak though. Any ideas or do I need 1 of these kits? If so, can you let me have the number of the company that sells them.

Thanks
                I got my repair kit from Milner Off Road

I'd say the kit is cheap enough to give it a go, but they aren't the easist things to get at.. Gonna have a go at mine tomorrow, if the kit turns up!!!
                It just does, OK?

Comment

Thanks for that. Can you let me know how easy or difficult you found the replacement.

Comment

Sorted!!!!

Excellent!!! No more leaky fuel pump!!

Seal kit turned up nice and early this morning (ordered Sunday night, Thanks Milners!!! )

Course, it's tipping down with rain, but the job needs to be done, so I turned the truck round and stuck it's nose in the garage, just!!

Took the air filter pipe off, and, just to check, started the engine to see if I could see where it was coming from. Noticed it pouring out, but not easy to tell where from. So much for it only leaking when hot!

5mm Allen key, four bolts on the fuel pump cover, and it was off, sort of. I unplugged the electrical connection on top of the pump, but the internal wiring prevents you from lifting the pump cover away. Not to worry. A bit of jiggery pokery and the old seal was out. It wasn't sticking proud of the sealing face at all!

New 'o' ring in, and it's proud by about 1mm, so plenty of scope for a good seal there. 10 minutes later, the truck's back up and running, with NO LEAK!!!!

Must say, I'm very pleased that it did trn out to be the top seal, and not anything more serious...
                    It just does, OK?

Comment

Working...
                    X